Welcome

Welcome to my ever-evolving blog. It started out as a blog on Beachbody workouts and products, mainly when I was a Beachbody coach. I no longer coach, not because I don't believe in Beachbody's programs (I subscribe to Beachbody on Demand and use their workouts every day), I am just not a salesperson and hated that aspect of it. I am more than willing to answer questions about my experiences with their products and the various workouts, and I feel freer to do so without the appearance of giving a biased review of something.

I have also started adding reviews for various things I have purchased like movies, books, CDs, and other products. This was brought about by a fight with Amazon in which all of my reviews were removed over a completely bullshit allegation that I posted a review that violated their terms of service. After going back and forth with the morons in the community-reviews department (even after they admitted that my posts did not violate their guidelines) they restored my account (which took them six months to do), but I have been posting my reviews on my blog to have them preserved in case something like that happens again. And here, I will post uncensored reviews so I will swear from time to time and post reviews that may be longer than Amazon's character limit. Everything I post here on any topic or product is my personal opinion, and I take no compensation for any product reviews I post. I am a member of Amazon's vine program and because I get those products for free, I keep those reviews on Amazon only, but everything I have purchased with my own money, whether from Amazon or some other store/website/outlet, I will post here.  

I also plan to do some longer blog posts on various topics, such as how to learn physics, how to get through calculus, and longer reviews of workout programs as I do them. Basically, whatever strikes me as interesting at the time.  As you can see if you navigate around the blog, I had many years in between postings. During that time I was going back to school to get an engineering degree, and learning material that I avoided my first time through college was a different experience and one that gave me a lot of insight into how to do well in those classes, which I will try to impart here for those who are looking to get a science or engineering degree. 

Monday, March 28, 2022

Blu-Ray/Movie Review: 2010 - The Year We Make Contact

 


2010 is the follow-up to the classic film directed by Stanley Kubrick, 2001. It was made during the cold war, so it capitalized on the US vs. Russia conflict of that time. The premise is that both the US and Russia are preparing missions to go to Jupiter to investigate what happened to the Discovery spacecraft, during its failed 2001 mission. When it is learned that the Discovery is going to crash into Jupiter's moon Io, a team of Americans, including Dr. Haywood (played in a recast role by Roy Scheider (replacing William Sylvester)) who was the Earth-based head of the original Discovery mission, the Discovery ship designer Walter Curnow (played by John Lithgow), and the programmer of the HAL 9000 (which seemingly went crazy in 2001), Dr. Chandra, played by Bob Balaban. The movie also stars Helen Mirren as the commander of the Russian ship and includes the nearly ageless Keir Dullea and Douglas Rain reprising their roles as Dave and the voice of HAL from the first movie.

The movie was made during the height of both the cold war and the tail end of the space race, and both of those themes are prevalent throughout. The movie pays homage to but has a much different feel than 2001. That is due in large part because it was made about sixteen years after the original film, but also because the director Peter Hyams did not try to copy Kubrick's style and tone. Personally, I like this movie more than I do 2001, both when I was a kid and as an adult. There is a lot more suspense that is mixed throughout the movie, not just packed in at the end. And, since it has a much shorter running time, it does not feel like it goes on and on as 2001 does.

For those who get the Blu-Ray, it does not really have any extras. Just the movie. The A/V quality is okay, but it definitely did not get a major restoration, certainly not approaching anything like what 2001 received with its 4k UHD transfer. That said, I have never seen the movie on any of the major streaming services, so if you want to watch it physical discs seem to be the easiest way to do so.

Overall, the movie presents a good conclusion to the story. It explains the events from the first movie and gives audiences a hopeful ending. There were other books written that continued the story from here, but it is unlikely that they will ever be adapted into a movie after all this time. I think most people who will consider getting this will be people who either saw it in the theater or on TV back in the 80s. But, if you are one who only recently discovered the movie 2001 and are trying to decide whether to get this, I would say it is worth watching. I cannot guarantee you will like it as much as 2001 (assuming you liked or loved that one), but I think it is worth watching just to get the entire story. And, if you were lukewarm to the original movie, this is definitely worth giving a chance to because, as I said above, it does have a much different feel than the first movie did.

No comments: