Welcome

Welcome to my ever-evolving blog. It started out as a blog on Beachbody workouts and products, mainly when I was a Beachbody coach. I no longer coach, not because I don't believe in Beachbody's programs (I subscribe to Beachbody on Demand and use their workouts every day), I am just not a salesperson and hated that aspect of it. I am more than willing to answer questions about my experiences with their products and the various workouts, and I feel freer to do so without the appearance of giving a biased review of something.

I have also started adding reviews for various things I have purchased like movies, books, CDs, and other products. This was brought about by a fight with Amazon in which all of my reviews were removed over a completely bullshit allegation that I posted a review that violated their terms of service. After going back and forth with the morons in the community-reviews department (even after they admitted that my posts did not violate their guidelines) they restored my account (which took them six months to do), but I have been posting my reviews on my blog to have them preserved in case something like that happens again. And here, I will post uncensored reviews so I will swear from time to time and post reviews that may be longer than Amazon's character limit. Everything I post here on any topic or product is my personal opinion, and I take no compensation for any product reviews I post. I am a member of Amazon's vine program and because I get those products for free, I keep those reviews on Amazon only, but everything I have purchased with my own money, whether from Amazon or some other store/website/outlet, I will post here.  

I also plan to do some longer blog posts on various topics, such as how to learn physics, how to get through calculus, and longer reviews of workout programs as I do them. Basically, whatever strikes me as interesting at the time.  As you can see if you navigate around the blog, I had many years in between postings. During that time I was going back to school to get an engineering degree, and learning material that I avoided my first time through college was a different experience and one that gave me a lot of insight into how to do well in those classes, which I will try to impart here for those who are looking to get a science or engineering degree. 

Monday, August 5, 2024

DVD/TV Series Review: Designated Survivor Season 2

 


The 22-episode second season of Designated Survivor aired during the 2017/2018 TV season. It would be the last that would air on ABC before going to Netflix for its final season. The season starts out essentially wrapping up the Patrick Loyd storyline, which ties up the original storyline of the show. The remainder of the first half of the season deals with a political scandal involving the first lady, which leads into a big cliffhanger going into the mid-season break. The second half of the season is where the show really ramps up and gets very strong. There are plotlines involving a British spy working for the Russians, a palace coup against the administration, and a hacker storyline (which actually starts out early on but keeps ramping up throughout the season. Mixed within is the same political intrigue and maneuvering that made season one enjoyable.

There was some cast turnover this year, both in terms of the main cast and guest stars. Paulo Costanzo (who was on the show Royal Pains as well as the 2000 cult comedy Road Trip, among other things) was the main addition to the main cast, coming in as Lyor Boone, an advisor to the President (and the staff). While Virginia Madsen did not reprise her role, Michael J. Fox joined the series for a multi-episode arc, as did 24 alum Kim Raver. The season ended on a pretty big cliffhanger and, of course, was promptly canceled by ABC, only to be picked up by Netflix for a final season.

The DVD set is a six-disc set. Despite Amazon's listing, there is a Region-1 Canadian DVD release that will work in US DVD players. There is also a Region-2 set that is available on Amazon UK, but others have said this listing is for a Region-1 set. I bought mine elsewhere, and it was the Region-1 Canadian version. The video transfer is okay, but definitely not a high-definition transfer. The only extra/bonus feature is a 10-minute interview with Paulo Constanzo about joining the cast. Otherwise, all you get are the episodes. No deleted scenes, commentary tracks, or behind-the-scenes material.

The show does have a bit of a different feel than season 1, which is not surprising considering season 1 was centered around unraveling a conspiracy. While the second season started out a bit slow, it definitely picked up as it went along. I cannot guarantee everyone who liked or loved season 1 will enjoy this season, but I definitely think it is worth a look and will probably be enjoyable for most if you do not bail on it early on.

No comments: