Welcome

Welcome to my ever-evolving blog. It started out as a blog on Beachbody workouts and products, mainly when I was a Beachbody coach. I no longer coach, not because I don't believe in Beachbody's programs (I subscribe to Beachbody on Demand and use their workouts every day), I am just not a salesperson and hated that aspect of it. I am more than willing to answer questions about my experiences with their products and the various workouts, and I feel freer to do so without the appearance of giving a biased review of something.

I have also started adding reviews for various things I have purchased like movies, books, CDs, and other products. This was brought about by a fight with Amazon in which all of my reviews were removed over a completely bullshit allegation that I posted a review that violated their terms of service. After going back and forth with the morons in the community-reviews department (even after they admitted that my posts did not violate their guidelines) they restored my account (which took them six months to do), but I have been posting my reviews on my blog to have them preserved in case something like that happens again. And here, I will post uncensored reviews so I will swear from time to time and post reviews that may be longer than Amazon's character limit. Everything I post here on any topic or product is my personal opinion, and I take no compensation for any product reviews I post. I am a member of Amazon's vine program and because I get those products for free, I keep those reviews on Amazon only, but everything I have purchased with my own money, whether from Amazon or some other store/website/outlet, I will post here.  

I also plan to do some longer blog posts on various topics, such as how to learn physics, how to get through calculus, and longer reviews of workout programs as I do them. Basically, whatever strikes me as interesting at the time.  As you can see if you navigate around the blog, I had many years in between postings. During that time I was going back to school to get an engineering degree, and learning material that I avoided my first time through college was a different experience and one that gave me a lot of insight into how to do well in those classes, which I will try to impart here for those who are looking to get a science or engineering degree. 

Monday, August 26, 2024

4k-UHD/Movie Review: John Wick Chapter 2

 


John Wick: Chapter 2 is the 2017 sequel to 2014's unexpected hit, John Wick. It stars Keanu Reeves as the titular John Wick. It includes, in supporting roles, Common, Laurence Fishburne, Ricardo Scamaricio, Ruby Rose, Lance Reddick, Peter Stormare, Franco Nero, John Leguizamo, Ian McShane, and Claudia Gerini. It is titled "Chapter 2" because it continues the story from the first movie. It starts with Wick getting his car back from the brother of the mobster he killed at the end of the first movie. Then it takes a turn that is reminiscent of the line in Godfather Part III, "just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in," when another member of the group tries to cash in a favor that Wick owes him. Of course, everything goes sideways (ending up with Wick's house burned down), and mayhem ensues.

The movie continues the over-the-top violence of the first movie, with lots of martial arts ("gun-fu," as Reeves calls it) and car chases. Laurence Fishburne has a great extended cameo in the movie, in scenes that make not-so-subtle winks and nods to the Matrix movies. Ruby Rose is the badass female character who has a great fight scene with Wick at the end of the film in a sequence that overall has a very Enter The Dragon feel to it. The movie ends in a way that sets up the next one, not quite a cliffhanger, but more like setting up what comes next and leaving the fate of some characters up in the air.

The 4K set is a two-disc set with a UHD disc and a regular Blu-Ray disc. The movie looks and sounds excellent in the UHD format. While there is not a ton of CGI, it does have some great visuals. There are a decent amount of bonus features, including about 45 minutes or so of behind-the-scenes and making-of featurettes, the trailer, and a commentary track by Reeves and the movie's director, Chad Stahelski. All the bonus features are on the UHD disc, so you do not have to switch to the regular blu-ray to watch them. Like the first movie, it does not try to be anything more than a violent, fun, and sometimes funny action movie. It does not take itself too seriously, but it does not try to be campy and stupid either (which movies like this can quickly become). Ultimately, if you like the first movie, then you will like this one. On the other hand, if you did not like the first one, there is likely nothing in this one that will appeal to you.

No comments: