Welcome

Welcome to my ever-evolving blog. It started out as a blog on Beachbody workouts and products, mainly when I was a Beachbody coach. I no longer coach, not because I don't believe in Beachbody's programs (I subscribe to Beachbody on Demand and use their workouts every day), I am just not a salesperson and hated that aspect of it. I am more than willing to answer questions about my experiences with their products and the various workouts, and I feel freer to do so without the appearance of giving a biased review of something.

I have also started adding reviews for various things I have purchased like movies, books, CDs, and other products. This was brought about by a fight with Amazon in which all of my reviews were removed over a completely bullshit allegation that I posted a review that violated their terms of service. After going back and forth with the morons in the community-reviews department (even after they admitted that my posts did not violate their guidelines) they restored my account (which took them six months to do), but I have been posting my reviews on my blog to have them preserved in case something like that happens again. And here, I will post uncensored reviews so I will swear from time to time and post reviews that may be longer than Amazon's character limit. Everything I post here on any topic or product is my personal opinion, and I take no compensation for any product reviews I post. I am a member of Amazon's vine program and because I get those products for free, I keep those reviews on Amazon only, but everything I have purchased with my own money, whether from Amazon or some other store/website/outlet, I will post here.  

I also plan to do some longer blog posts on various topics, such as how to learn physics, how to get through calculus, and longer reviews of workout programs as I do them. Basically, whatever strikes me as interesting at the time.  As you can see if you navigate around the blog, I had many years in between postings. During that time I was going back to school to get an engineering degree, and learning material that I avoided my first time through college was a different experience and one that gave me a lot of insight into how to do well in those classes, which I will try to impart here for those who are looking to get a science or engineering degree. 

Thursday, March 7, 2024

DVD/Movie Review: Halloween 5: The Revenge of Michael Meyers

 


+++Warning, this contains spoilerish material from this movie and from Halloween H20. If you have not seen either of them yet, proceed with caution.+++

Halloween 5, subtitled "The Revenge of Michael Myers," is the 1989 followup to the movie that revived the Halloween franchise centered around the killer from the iconic 1978 movie. This movie brought back Danielle Harris, Ellie Cornell, Beau Starr, and Donald Pleasence from the prior film. Cornell and Starr's roles are reduced in this movie, but it does bring in Wendy Kaplan as Tina, one of Ellie's friends, who ultimately plays Jamie's protector (along with Loomis). 

I have mixed feelings about this movie. It was very much a continuation of Halloween 4, taking place one year later. It explains that Jamie (played by Danielle Harris) does not really turn evil but develops a telepathic bond with Michael. Because of that, she can see when people are in danger from him. He, of course, continues to try to get at her to kill her. That part of the storyline is fine. My problem with this movie is how it sets up the dreadful Part 6. It planted the seeds of the whole cult storyline with the mysterious man in black and began all the nonsense that would follow in that movie. I don't even have a problem with not killing off Michael, although if it had been done, it would have been an acceptable way to wrap up the story. The producers rebooted the franchise with Halloween H20, a couple of movies down the line (when they could get Jamie Lee Curtis back), which pretended that 4 and 5 never existed anyway, so Michael could have been killed off in this movie. 

The original DVD release does have a significant amount of special features, including a director commentary track (that also includes Harris and Cornell), an introduction to the movie by Harris and Cornell, and trailers. The most significant bonus feature is a making-of documentary that features interviews, behind-the-scenes footage, and bonus footage that was not included in the movie. 

You ultimately know what you get with the Halloween movies. Even the original movie (which was the best in the series) was not an Academy Award winner. The movies became sillier and less believable as the series went on. That said, this is worth having in your collection if you are a fan of the series. Danielle Harris and Donald Pleasence continued to do a great job in their roles. Pleasence's role was reduced by now because of his age, but he still played Loomis passionately. Harris had to portray a range of emotions in this movie and did a fantastic job. Obviously, these movies are not going to appeal to everyone. However, if you like the first two movies and the 4th movie, this is worth watching.

No comments: