Welcome

Welcome to my ever-evolving blog. It started out as a blog on Beachbody workouts and products, mainly when I was a Beachbody coach. I no longer coach, not because I don't believe in Beachbody's programs (I subscribe to Beachbody on Demand and use their workouts every day), I am just not a salesperson and hated that aspect of it. I am more than willing to answer questions about my experiences with their products and the various workouts, and I feel freer to do so without the appearance of giving a biased review of something.

I have also started adding reviews for various things I have purchased like movies, books, CDs, and other products. This was brought about by a fight with Amazon in which all of my reviews were removed over a completely bullshit allegation that I posted a review that violated their terms of service. After going back and forth with the morons in the community-reviews department (even after they admitted that my posts did not violate their guidelines) they restored my account (which took them six months to do), but I have been posting my reviews on my blog to have them preserved in case something like that happens again. And here, I will post uncensored reviews so I will swear from time to time and post reviews that may be longer than Amazon's character limit. Everything I post here on any topic or product is my personal opinion, and I take no compensation for any product reviews I post. I am a member of Amazon's vine program and because I get those products for free, I keep those reviews on Amazon only, but everything I have purchased with my own money, whether from Amazon or some other store/website/outlet, I will post here.  

I also plan to do some longer blog posts on various topics, such as how to learn physics, how to get through calculus, and longer reviews of workout programs as I do them. Basically, whatever strikes me as interesting at the time.  As you can see if you navigate around the blog, I had many years in between postings. During that time I was going back to school to get an engineering degree, and learning material that I avoided my first time through college was a different experience and one that gave me a lot of insight into how to do well in those classes, which I will try to impart here for those who are looking to get a science or engineering degree. 

Tuesday, July 26, 2022

DVD/TV Series Review: Married...With Children: The Complete Series

 


Married With Children was the often controversial series that aired on Fox from 1987 to 1997, starring Ed O'Neil as Al Bundy, Katey Segal as his wife Peg, Christina Applegate as their daughter Kelly, and David Faustino as their son Bud. It was basically marketed as the "anti-Cosby" show centered around Al Bundy as the stereotypical loser whose life peaked in high school where he was a star quarterback. Reality smacks him, however, and he ends up with a job he hates (as a shoe salesman), and a family he does his best to avoid. Peg is a housewife who never does anything around the house, Bud is a loser who cannot get any dates and Kelly can get any date she wants. They are a typical trashy suburban, non-politically correct family whose neighbors Marcy (played by Amanda Bearse) and Steve (played by David Garrison) and later Jefferson (played by Ted McGinley) are total politically correct snobs who take great pleasure and looking down on (and yet sometimes getting in the mud with) the Bundys.

The complete series is just a repackaging of the individual season DVD releases. All of the discs are stacked together on large spindles that are accessible after the case is unfolded. Of course, you want to watch the discs pretty quickly to see if any are scratched as there are better ways to store them than the stacking of the discs. Everything that was included on the single-season releases (even the replacement of the "Love and Marriage" theme song after the second season) carries over. This means that all of the extras (or lack thereof in the later seasons) are included, but there are no extras specific to the complete series release.

Overall, the show was good but is definitely not everyone's cup of tea. The humor was meant to be offensive and there are definitely things that got aired that would never be aired today. It was not politically correct by any stretch of the imagination, and it made fun of pretty much every topic under the sun. The final couple of seasons were definitely not as good, and the series never did get a proper ending. The final episode most definitely did not have a series finale feel...it was just another episode that not all of the characters even appeared in. If you are easily offended then this is not a show that will appeal to you, but if you like more offbeat sitcoms, it holds up fairly well even thirty-plus years later.

No comments: