Welcome

Welcome to my ever-evolving blog. It started out as a blog on Beachbody workouts and products, mainly when I was a Beachbody coach. I no longer coach, not because I don't believe in Beachbody's programs (I subscribe to Beachbody on Demand and use their workouts every day), I am just not a salesperson and hated that aspect of it. I am more than willing to answer questions about my experiences with their products and the various workouts, and I feel freer to do so without the appearance of giving a biased review of something.

I have also started adding reviews for various things I have purchased like movies, books, CDs, and other products. This was brought about by a fight with Amazon in which all of my reviews were removed over a completely bullshit allegation that I posted a review that violated their terms of service. After going back and forth with the morons in the community-reviews department (even after they admitted that my posts did not violate their guidelines) they restored my account (which took them six months to do), but I have been posting my reviews on my blog to have them preserved in case something like that happens again. And here, I will post uncensored reviews so I will swear from time to time and post reviews that may be longer than Amazon's character limit. Everything I post here on any topic or product is my personal opinion, and I take no compensation for any product reviews I post. I am a member of Amazon's vine program and because I get those products for free, I keep those reviews on Amazon only, but everything I have purchased with my own money, whether from Amazon or some other store/website/outlet, I will post here.  

I also plan to do some longer blog posts on various topics, such as how to learn physics, how to get through calculus, and longer reviews of workout programs as I do them. Basically, whatever strikes me as interesting at the time.  As you can see if you navigate around the blog, I had many years in between postings. During that time I was going back to school to get an engineering degree, and learning material that I avoided my first time through college was a different experience and one that gave me a lot of insight into how to do well in those classes, which I will try to impart here for those who are looking to get a science or engineering degree. 

Friday, July 22, 2022

Blu-Ray/TV Series Review: The Americans: Season 1

 


The Americans is a series created by former CIA officer Joe Weisberg about a pair of "illegals" from the Soviet Union played by Kerri Russell (best known for the series Felicity) and Matthew Rhys living in the United States in the 1980s and spying for Russia. The plot is loosely based on the spy ring that the US uncovered in 2010 as well as Russian Spies in Canada. Rusell and Rhys play Phillip and Elizabeth Jennings who came to the US as young adults after learning how to speak perfect English and blend into American culture. On the outside they seem like the typical 1980s nuclear family with two kids, Paige played by Holly Taylor and Henry played by Keidrich Sellati running a travel agency. They are really deep-cover agents who carry out missions that range from everything from bugging or sabotage to abduction and murder. Life gets even more complicated for them when an FBI agent named Stan Beeman (played by Noah Emmerich) moves in next door. He definitely gets suspicious of the Jennings' comings and goings but mostly accepts that they are normal neighbors. It does incorporate real events (like the assassination attempt of Ronald Regan) into the storylines and uses archival footage to blend in with the story. It also has a great 1980s soundtrack that anyone around back then will recognize.

The show has a strong supporting cast including Annet Mahendru as Nina Sergeevna, Agent Beeman's Soviet mole working in the Soviet Embassy in DC, Margo Martindale as Claudia, the Jennings' KGB supervisor, Susan Misner as Sandra Beeman, Stan's wife, Alison Wright as Martha Hanson, Agent Gaad's secretary and Philip's informant, and Lev Gorn as Arkady Ivanovich, the KGB's second Rezident.

The Blu-Ray extras include deleted scenes, a commentary track on the season finale, a gag reel, and a couple of making-of featurettes. The A/V quality of the Blu-Ray is good. Even though the show does not have a lot of special effects, the colors in the show really pop, and what effects there are (usually incorporating historical footage) do look great.

Overall, the series is very good. I like the fact that it was set during the Cold War (probably not at the height, but not far removed from the height), which really ramped up the tension in the show. The show does a great job with character development and showing that Elizabeth and Phillip have very different feelings about what they are doing and how they would handle their kids finding out about what they do. The show does push the boundaries of what can be shown on basic cable. There is as much swearing and nudity that they can get away with, and a lot of sexual content. The show does definitely hone in on the "honeypot" aspect of spy work in which spies use sex to get close to and manipulate people in positions to be helpful to them. It is well written and very well acted, and the shorter (thirteen-episode) season definitely leaves the viewers wanting more. So, if you are looking for a good drama, this is definitely one to check out.



No comments: