Welcome

Welcome to my ever-evolving blog. It started out as a blog on Beachbody workouts and products, mainly when I was a Beachbody coach. I no longer coach, not because I don't believe in Beachbody's programs (I subscribe to Beachbody on Demand and use their workouts every day), I am just not a salesperson and hated that aspect of it. I am more than willing to answer questions about my experiences with their products and the various workouts, and I feel freer to do so without the appearance of giving a biased review of something.

I have also started adding reviews for various things I have purchased like movies, books, CDs, and other products. This was brought about by a fight with Amazon in which all of my reviews were removed over a completely bullshit allegation that I posted a review that violated their terms of service. After going back and forth with the morons in the community-reviews department (even after they admitted that my posts did not violate their guidelines) they restored my account (which took them six months to do), but I have been posting my reviews on my blog to have them preserved in case something like that happens again. And here, I will post uncensored reviews so I will swear from time to time and post reviews that may be longer than Amazon's character limit. Everything I post here on any topic or product is my personal opinion, and I take no compensation for any product reviews I post. I am a member of Amazon's vine program and because I get those products for free, I keep those reviews on Amazon only, but everything I have purchased with my own money, whether from Amazon or some other store/website/outlet, I will post here.  

I also plan to do some longer blog posts on various topics, such as how to learn physics, how to get through calculus, and longer reviews of workout programs as I do them. Basically, whatever strikes me as interesting at the time.  As you can see if you navigate around the blog, I had many years in between postings. During that time I was going back to school to get an engineering degree, and learning material that I avoided my first time through college was a different experience and one that gave me a lot of insight into how to do well in those classes, which I will try to impart here for those who are looking to get a science or engineering degree. 

Wednesday, July 13, 2022

Book Review: Blonde: A Novel

 


I read this in anticipation of the Netflix movie adapted from this book that is set to be released in September of 2022. This is a fictional biography of Marilyn Monroe's life, taking real elements from Marilyn's, such as the fact that her mother was institutionalized and so she grew up in foster homes, her various marriages, and affairs, and blended them with things that the author made up. The author portrays Marilyn and Norma Jean (spelled Jeane in the book) as two separate personalities, and Norma Jeane essentially had to "summon" Marilyn to get through her movie roles and appear in public, which accounted for her notorious unreliability. In real life, Marilyn was known for making comments like having to "give" people Marilyn, so that Marilyn was a performance she put on for the masses. The author extended that to Marilyn being a person that Norma Jeane hated and never wanted to be called in real life. The book also touches on Marilyn's abuse of prescription drugs and her own mental illness.

The book is very long, about 730 pages, and is not always the easiest thing to read. The story spans Marilyn's entire life from when she was a year or two old, to her death in 1962. Interestingly, the author wrote Marilyn as being aware that she was going to die and kind of did a dance with maybe she killed herself and maybe she was murdered. There is a lot of sex in the book (it definitely touches on the rumors she slept around Hollywood) and, if even some of the material that was included about halfway through the book (for example, a three-way relationship with two bisexual men) makes it into the movie, it definitely will earn the NC-17 rating.

Overall, you have to take the book with a grain of salt. It is a work of fiction and not a real biography, which the author admits to up-front in the forward. The author does provide a bibliography for those who are looking for non-fiction books devoted to Marilyn's life. It definitely has enough real elements that are known about Marilyn's life (like her marriages and her hookups with JFK), but unless you have really read about her or seen documentaries about her life, it is hard to know what is real and what is made up. So, I would describe it as an interesting take on what portions of Marilyn's life may have been like, but nothing that should be taken too seriously.



No comments: