Welcome

Welcome to my ever-evolving blog. It started out as a blog on Beachbody workouts and products, mainly when I was a Beachbody coach. I no longer coach, not because I don't believe in Beachbody's programs (I subscribe to Beachbody on Demand and use their workouts every day), I am just not a salesperson and hated that aspect of it. I am more than willing to answer questions about my experiences with their products and the various workouts, and I feel freer to do so without the appearance of giving a biased review of something.

I have also started adding reviews for various things I have purchased like movies, books, CDs, and other products. This was brought about by a fight with Amazon in which all of my reviews were removed over a completely bullshit allegation that I posted a review that violated their terms of service. After going back and forth with the morons in the community-reviews department (even after they admitted that my posts did not violate their guidelines) they restored my account (which took them six months to do), but I have been posting my reviews on my blog to have them preserved in case something like that happens again. And here, I will post uncensored reviews so I will swear from time to time and post reviews that may be longer than Amazon's character limit. Everything I post here on any topic or product is my personal opinion, and I take no compensation for any product reviews I post. I am a member of Amazon's vine program and because I get those products for free, I keep those reviews on Amazon only, but everything I have purchased with my own money, whether from Amazon or some other store/website/outlet, I will post here.  

I also plan to do some longer blog posts on various topics, such as how to learn physics, how to get through calculus, and longer reviews of workout programs as I do them. Basically, whatever strikes me as interesting at the time.  As you can see if you navigate around the blog, I had many years in between postings. During that time I was going back to school to get an engineering degree, and learning material that I avoided my first time through college was a different experience and one that gave me a lot of insight into how to do well in those classes, which I will try to impart here for those who are looking to get a science or engineering degree. 

Friday, July 8, 2022

DVD/TV Series Review: Lois & Clark: The New Adventures of Superman - Season 3

 


+++Warning, this will contain spoilers from season two, but no major season three giveaways+++

The third season of Lois and Clark picks up immediately after the screen faded to black at the end of season two, with Clark proposing to Lois. Her answer to the question has reverberations throughout the rest of the season. It is not really a spoiler to say that she does not give an immediate yes or no answer to the question. The season has some self-contained episodes but even those do have some of the serial arcs that run throughout the season. The big one is Lois and Clark's relationship status (of course things cannot go off without a hitch) and then toward the end of the season a version of the "new krypton" storyline in which Clark finds out he is not, in fact, the last Kryptonian. There are a lot of notable guest stars this season including Peter Boyle, Bruce Campbell, Jessica Collins, Julian Stone, Jonathan Frakes, Genie Frances, Shelly Long, Fred Willard, Tony Curtis, and Justine Bateman. This is also the final season in which John Shea physically appears as Lex Luthor, in a multi-episode story arc in the second half of the season. There was a mild controversy during the season about Teri Hatcher cutting her hair (not nearly as big a deal as Kerri Russell cutting her hair during Felicity), that was kind of dumb. Although, I admit that I liked her hair better in the first two seasons than I did the shorter hairstyle.

For those who get the DVD set, the extras include a featurette on the romance story between Lois and Clark, a trivia game hosted by Dean Cain, sporting a ridiculous-looking hairdo (speaking of haircuts), which is quite hilarious now that he does everything he can to pass himself off as a buttoned-up conservative commentator, and an excerpt of the documentary "Look, Up in the Sky" that was produced by Bryan Singer and Ken Burns, telling the history of the Superman character that was made when Singer was making Superman Returns. It is a portion of the same documentary that is an extra feature with the Superman Returns DVD and Blu-Ray (and the Superman Collection disc release) and the same except that was included as an extra on one of the Smallville season sets.

Overall, the season is good, but in my opinion, not as good as the prior seasons. I don't think the villains were as good in this season (aside from Tempus, Luther, and the Church gang) as they had been in the earlier seasons, and I think a lot of the tension that the writers were trying to keep in the Lois and Clark relationship (to keep viewers interested) was a bit forced. That said, it was still Superman and was the only live-action superhero show on the air at the time. Because it was on ABC, and trying to appeal to as wide an audience as possible to keep ratings up, it is a bit more of a soap opera than it would have been on one of the smaller networks. That said, it is still worth watching.



No comments: