Welcome

Welcome to my ever-evolving blog. It started out as a blog on Beachbody workouts and products, mainly when I was a Beachbody coach. I no longer coach, not because I don't believe in Beachbody's programs (I subscribe to Beachbody on Demand and use their workouts every day), I am just not a salesperson and hated that aspect of it. I am more than willing to answer questions about my experiences with their products and the various workouts, and I feel freer to do so without the appearance of giving a biased review of something.

I have also started adding reviews for various things I have purchased like movies, books, CDs, and other products. This was brought about by a fight with Amazon in which all of my reviews were removed over a completely bullshit allegation that I posted a review that violated their terms of service. After going back and forth with the morons in the community-reviews department (even after they admitted that my posts did not violate their guidelines) they restored my account (which took them six months to do), but I have been posting my reviews on my blog to have them preserved in case something like that happens again. And here, I will post uncensored reviews so I will swear from time to time and post reviews that may be longer than Amazon's character limit. Everything I post here on any topic or product is my personal opinion, and I take no compensation for any product reviews I post. I am a member of Amazon's vine program and because I get those products for free, I keep those reviews on Amazon only, but everything I have purchased with my own money, whether from Amazon or some other store/website/outlet, I will post here.  

I also plan to do some longer blog posts on various topics, such as how to learn physics, how to get through calculus, and longer reviews of workout programs as I do them. Basically, whatever strikes me as interesting at the time.  As you can see if you navigate around the blog, I had many years in between postings. During that time I was going back to school to get an engineering degree, and learning material that I avoided my first time through college was a different experience and one that gave me a lot of insight into how to do well in those classes, which I will try to impart here for those who are looking to get a science or engineering degree. 

Sunday, July 24, 2022

Blu-Ray/TV Series Review: Lost: Season 3

 


Season three of Lost starts out a bit slow, but definitely picks up steam toward the end of the season. The first handful of episodes deal with the capture of Jack, Sawyer, and Kate by The Others and reveals Henry's backstory. As we go through the season we learn who The Others are and why they are on the island. The show continues to tell the story in flashbacks and in the present, and answers some questions (e.g., who are The Others, how did Locke end up in a wheelchair, etc.), but also raises new questions to keep the mystery going. As has been the case in the first two seasons, there is a lot of cast turnover (both with new cast members coming on, and old cast members leaving). The season ends with a two-part episode that has yet another huge cliffhanger, involving a flash forward this time.

The Blu-Ray set again has a ton of extras. Those include commentary tracks on a few episodes, about six making-of featurettes that range from a couple of minutes to just under an hour, just under twenty minutes of deleted scenes, and a gag reel that runs just over six minutes. Then there are some featurettes that involve promotional items like toys and the video game, and then a featurette on the books that inspire some of the themes in the show. So, if you like watching the extras, there is a lot there. And, of course, the A/V quality is very good as the seasons 1 and 2 releases were.

Overall, the season is good and rebounds from what many saw as a weaker second season. I know when the show was on the air many people got mad that it took so long to reveal the various mysteries. I do think the ability to watch the show on DVD (or streaming) so you can see it all play out without having to wait between seasons makes it easier to watch. There are definitely some logical leaps in the story that do not make a ton of sense and not all of the twists work to perfection. But, even was unique for its time, not derivative of anything else, and even after all these years, there has not really been a show that caught fire as Lost did in terms of its instant popularity. It is definitely worth checking out if you are a fan of sci-fi/fantasy thrillers.

No comments: