Welcome

Welcome to my ever-evolving blog. It started out as a blog on Beachbody workouts and products, mainly when I was a Beachbody coach. I no longer coach, not because I don't believe in Beachbody's programs (I subscribe to Beachbody on Demand and use their workouts every day), I am just not a salesperson and hated that aspect of it. I am more than willing to answer questions about my experiences with their products and the various workouts, and I feel freer to do so without the appearance of giving a biased review of something.

I have also started adding reviews for various things I have purchased like movies, books, CDs, and other products. This was brought about by a fight with Amazon in which all of my reviews were removed over a completely bullshit allegation that I posted a review that violated their terms of service. After going back and forth with the morons in the community-reviews department (even after they admitted that my posts did not violate their guidelines) they restored my account (which took them six months to do), but I have been posting my reviews on my blog to have them preserved in case something like that happens again. And here, I will post uncensored reviews so I will swear from time to time and post reviews that may be longer than Amazon's character limit. Everything I post here on any topic or product is my personal opinion, and I take no compensation for any product reviews I post. I am a member of Amazon's vine program and because I get those products for free, I keep those reviews on Amazon only, but everything I have purchased with my own money, whether from Amazon or some other store/website/outlet, I will post here.  

I also plan to do some longer blog posts on various topics, such as how to learn physics, how to get through calculus, and longer reviews of workout programs as I do them. Basically, whatever strikes me as interesting at the time.  As you can see if you navigate around the blog, I had many years in between postings. During that time I was going back to school to get an engineering degree, and learning material that I avoided my first time through college was a different experience and one that gave me a lot of insight into how to do well in those classes, which I will try to impart here for those who are looking to get a science or engineering degree. 

Saturday, September 4, 2021

DVD Review: Chicago PD Season 5

 


Season 5 of Chicago PD saw probably the biggest cast shakeup to date. The big one being, of course, that Sophia Bush left the show, storyline-wise having Erin take the FBI job in New York, real-life wise after she made mostly vague allegations of on-set abuse. The only concrete thing that I have seen about what pissed her off was that it was cold in the winter in Chicago and they were forced to film even when sick. Which, if you take that job, is pretty lame. But, given that she was allowed to leave 4 years into a 7-year contract, there must have been enough to her claims to let her go without a fight. Honestly, the show did not miss much of a beat without her. The other big cast move was bringing Jon Seda back after Chicago Justice's cancelation. In the storyline, Antonio was not happy being an investigator for the State's Attorney's office and decides to rejoin the team. While there was no real send-off for Chicago Justice, Monica Barbaro made a couple of appearances as Anna Valdez, but the show just pretended like life went on for the characters of the other show.

The big storyline of the season was whether Hank was going to be found out for murdering his son's killer. I am sure a large part of that would have involved cross-overs with Chicago Justice had the show not been canceled, however, Myeklti Williamson's character Denny Woods, was brought back to be a thorn in Hank's side and causing a lot of collateral damage in his wake trying to bring Hank down. Tracy Spirdakos was kept on as a series regular, and she got a couple of good story arcs, one trying to help Jay, and one that fleshed out some of Hailey's backstory. It was the kind of thing that Chicago Justice never did for its characters, which is probably why it ended up getting such a quick hook. The season ends on somewhat of a cliffhanger and sets up a potentially interesting sixth season.

For those who get the DVD, the only extra is the Chicago Fire episode that made up the two-part crossover between the shows. Chicago Med was not involved in the crossover that year, although some characters from Med did appear on PD, per the usual quick cameos. But, there are no other extras, so really the only reason to get the DVDs (if you don't already just prefer physical media to streaming) is to keep a current collection complete. 

Overall, the show pretty much sticks to the formula that has worked for it. The writing and acting continue to be good, and the storylines (both the case-of-the-week stuff and the larger arc) are compelling. It is definitely worth the pick-up (or watching on your streaming service of choice).




No comments: