Welcome

Welcome to my ever-evolving blog. It started out as a blog on Beachbody workouts and products, mainly when I was a Beachbody coach. I no longer coach, not because I don't believe in Beachbody's programs (I subscribe to Beachbody on Demand and use their workouts every day), I am just not a salesperson and hated that aspect of it. I am more than willing to answer questions about my experiences with their products and the various workouts, and I feel freer to do so without the appearance of giving a biased review of something.

I have also started adding reviews for various things I have purchased like movies, books, CDs, and other products. This was brought about by a fight with Amazon in which all of my reviews were removed over a completely bullshit allegation that I posted a review that violated their terms of service. After going back and forth with the morons in the community-reviews department (even after they admitted that my posts did not violate their guidelines) they restored my account (which took them six months to do), but I have been posting my reviews on my blog to have them preserved in case something like that happens again. And here, I will post uncensored reviews so I will swear from time to time and post reviews that may be longer than Amazon's character limit. Everything I post here on any topic or product is my personal opinion, and I take no compensation for any product reviews I post. I am a member of Amazon's vine program and because I get those products for free, I keep those reviews on Amazon only, but everything I have purchased with my own money, whether from Amazon or some other store/website/outlet, I will post here.  

I also plan to do some longer blog posts on various topics, such as how to learn physics, how to get through calculus, and longer reviews of workout programs as I do them. Basically, whatever strikes me as interesting at the time.  As you can see if you navigate around the blog, I had many years in between postings. During that time I was going back to school to get an engineering degree, and learning material that I avoided my first time through college was a different experience and one that gave me a lot of insight into how to do well in those classes, which I will try to impart here for those who are looking to get a science or engineering degree. 

Tuesday, March 13, 2012

When is the best time to start?

Most people who are into fitness and working out will say the best time to start is now. Or there is no perfect or best time to start working out, so start today. I am not one who subscribes to that theory. The best time to begin a workout program is after you find your "why". For some people the why will be to get back in the kind of shape they were as a teenager. For others it will be to get in shape for the first time. Some just want to look good naked. Still others find the why because they cannot fit into any of their clothes or their doctors have told them they have to lose weight now or risk a premature death. Everyone's reason will be different, but you are far more likely to stick with a healthy lifestyle if you find a why first.

Once you determine that why, it is not quite as simple as start today. You can go into any gym in the country and see a bunch of people working out aimlessly with no purpose, and who you can tell really have no idea what they are doing. There are a lot of people that just go through the motions, and are ultimately wasting their time and money. While it is true that any workout is better than none, and that everyone's goal are different, how many people have you seen at the gym who do the same thing over and over and make no progress. Are you or have you been one of those people. Even if you do not want to get ripped abs or look like a fitness model, you should have a goal to progress in your workouts. And lets face it, doing the same thing over and over again is boring, and will lead to plateaus.

The concept of muscle confusion has been around for a long time. It has just been called switching your workouts up every few weeks. But the science behind it is real. Our bodies are always trying to adapt to what we are doing. And when working out, adaptation means stalling out. Which in turn leads to a lot of people quitting because they think that they cannot do it. As I have said in prior postings, the best workout for you is the one that you stick to. Research the programs, whether it is a beachbody program or something else. Beachbody has a variety of different programs from beginner to very advanced. Take advantage of the coaches' knowledge. Most of us have done multiple programs and can tell you the differences and will help you decide which is best for you. If you would like me to coach you, you can click here. If you just want me to coach you there is a free option. There is also a paid membership to team beachbody that gives you a variety of tools to help you, and gives you a 10% discount on the workout programs and any of the supplements. I am here to help you regardless of whether you get a paid membership or not. Once you find your why, and the right program, then start the day you get it in the mail. Don't wait, don't let it sit. Once you find your why and your DVDs are in hand, then the perfect time to start is that second!

No comments: