Welcome

Welcome to my ever-evolving blog. It started out as a blog on Beachbody workouts and products, mainly when I was a Beachbody coach. I no longer coach, not because I don't believe in Beachbody's programs (I subscribe to Beachbody on Demand and use their workouts every day), I am just not a salesperson and hated that aspect of it. I am more than willing to answer questions about my experiences with their products and the various workouts, and I feel freer to do so without the appearance of giving a biased review of something.

I have also started adding reviews for various things I have purchased like movies, books, CDs, and other products. This was brought about by a fight with Amazon in which all of my reviews were removed over a completely bullshit allegation that I posted a review that violated their terms of service. After going back and forth with the morons in the community-reviews department (even after they admitted that my posts did not violate their guidelines) they restored my account (which took them six months to do), but I have been posting my reviews on my blog to have them preserved in case something like that happens again. And here, I will post uncensored reviews so I will swear from time to time and post reviews that may be longer than Amazon's character limit. Everything I post here on any topic or product is my personal opinion, and I take no compensation for any product reviews I post. I am a member of Amazon's vine program and because I get those products for free, I keep those reviews on Amazon only, but everything I have purchased with my own money, whether from Amazon or some other store/website/outlet, I will post here.  

I also plan to do some longer blog posts on various topics, such as how to learn physics, how to get through calculus, and longer reviews of workout programs as I do them. Basically, whatever strikes me as interesting at the time.  As you can see if you navigate around the blog, I had many years in between postings. During that time I was going back to school to get an engineering degree, and learning material that I avoided my first time through college was a different experience and one that gave me a lot of insight into how to do well in those classes, which I will try to impart here for those who are looking to get a science or engineering degree. 

Monday, March 12, 2012

P90X Kenpo too easy? Here are some options

For those of you doing P90x, one thing that I hear a lot is that the Kenpo program is easy, sometimes too easy. Again this will be one of those things that will depend in large part how fit you are. If you are really out of shape when you start, it will be a hard program. As you get more fit however (especially if you have done martial arts before) it will probably not give you much of a workout.

Anyone who has been in some form of martial arts (especially one with a lot of kicking like taekwondo) knows that to really get a good cardio workout you have to incorporate your hips into the kicks which requires pivoting properly. However in a workout DVD is it very hard to demonstrate how to pivot, and as anyone who has done it knows, if you do not pivot properly you are going to mess up your knee and/or ankle, and I am sure they did the moves the way they did to minimize the risk of that. Lets face it, no workout program is going to go over well if people are injuring their knees. So, what options do you have? You could, if you have another program like Insanity, or Chalean extreme, swap it out for one of the cardio based workouts from there. You could, if you wanted to even do the plyo-x workout in place of Kenpo, which would help prepare you for a program like Insanity. The other option is you can just do the moves in Kenpo-X faster. Ignore the pace that is set by the counter and just do as many reps as you can. For example, when I do the workout, during the front kicks (ball kicks) I do 30-40 reps in the same time that they do the 25 reps. Same thing with the punches.

 Like anything you have to make the workouts work for you. Modification of the workouts do not have to just modify down to a less intense version. If you need to increase your intensity or swap something out for another workout, do it. As always if you have any questions or comments feel free and I will respond as quickly as I can.

No comments: