Welcome

Welcome to my ever-evolving blog. It started out as a blog on Beachbody workouts and products, mainly when I was a Beachbody coach. I no longer coach, not because I don't believe in Beachbody's programs (I subscribe to Beachbody on Demand and use their workouts every day), I am just not a salesperson and hated that aspect of it. I am more than willing to answer questions about my experiences with their products and the various workouts, and I feel freer to do so without the appearance of giving a biased review of something.

I have also started adding reviews for various things I have purchased like movies, books, CDs, and other products. This was brought about by a fight with Amazon in which all of my reviews were removed over a completely bullshit allegation that I posted a review that violated their terms of service. After going back and forth with the morons in the community-reviews department (even after they admitted that my posts did not violate their guidelines) they restored my account (which took them six months to do), but I have been posting my reviews on my blog to have them preserved in case something like that happens again. And here, I will post uncensored reviews so I will swear from time to time and post reviews that may be longer than Amazon's character limit. Everything I post here on any topic or product is my personal opinion, and I take no compensation for any product reviews I post. I am a member of Amazon's vine program and because I get those products for free, I keep those reviews on Amazon only, but everything I have purchased with my own money, whether from Amazon or some other store/website/outlet, I will post here.  

I also plan to do some longer blog posts on various topics, such as how to learn physics, how to get through calculus, and longer reviews of workout programs as I do them. Basically, whatever strikes me as interesting at the time.  As you can see if you navigate around the blog, I had many years in between postings. During that time I was going back to school to get an engineering degree, and learning material that I avoided my first time through college was a different experience and one that gave me a lot of insight into how to do well in those classes, which I will try to impart here for those who are looking to get a science or engineering degree. 

Tuesday, March 6, 2012

More on Nutrition

One question that seems to get asked a lot when people start a fitness program like P90X is do I have to follow the nutrition plan? I think it is more important to follow A plan, whatever plan it is, that gives you a balance of protein, carbohydrates and healthy fat, than it is to follow any one specific plan. Beachbody puts together nutrition plans based on sound scientific principles, but they keep most of the science behind the scenes. All you have to do is a few simple calculations that they walk you through to figure out how much you should be eating, then you just eat the right portions. The one beef I have with the P90x plan is that the first phase has you eating a lot of protein. If you google how much protein should I eat you will find a lot of articles out there, may of which conflict with each other, on how much you should consume. One thing I learned from the nutrition class I took last semester is that if you eat too much protein your body cannot use it and you essentially just pee it out. While people who are working out need more protein than a sedentary person, it is possible to overdo it. I do however love the second and third phases of the P90x food plan. I am most likely going to cycle those phases the rest of the way out. Personally I believe it is important to keep track of what you are eating. How detailed you get with it is up to you. It can be anything from just keeping a food journal to actually logging your meals into a program that tells you how much you ate and will actually give you a numerical breakdown each day. Personally I like the Diet Power software program. I have a link to it over on the left side. It is not the only one out there, but I find it the easiest to use. If you keep track of what you eat, you keep yourself accountable. You can see if you are really eating what you should be, of if you have cheated too much. You can also see how your body is responding to the food you eat. If you use one of the logging programs or internet sites you can also see if you are eating too much of hidden things like sodium which we get way too much of in our food that can derail your progress. Ultimately the more you know about how your body reacts to the foods you are putting into it, the better results you are going to get. So, do you need to follow the plan you will get with any workout program. No. Our bodies are all different and they way mine reacts to food is going to be different than how yours does, or how another person's does. You do however have to follow whatever plan works the best for you. Sometimes that requires eating less "starchy" carbs like bread and pasta, some can handle eating more of those kinds of foods. The key is to keep it balanced, with protein, carbohydrates, vegetables and healthy fat. No amount of exercise can make up for eating too much junk. If you want to get the ripped abs and look like the people in the infomercials you need to eat well. You will always see in the small print that the people followed a nutrition plan to get the results that they did. If you have any questions you can click the link for my Beachbody page and send me an e-mail, or post a comment on this page. I do moderate the comments to keep the spam out, so it may be a while before I see it. Stay fit everyone!

No comments: