Welcome

Welcome to my ever-evolving blog. It started out as a blog on Beachbody workouts and products, mainly when I was a Beachbody coach. I no longer coach, not because I don't believe in Beachbody's programs (I subscribe to Beachbody on Demand and use their workouts every day), I am just not a salesperson and hated that aspect of it. I am more than willing to answer questions about my experiences with their products and the various workouts, and I feel freer to do so without the appearance of giving a biased review of something.

I have also started adding reviews for various things I have purchased like movies, books, CDs, and other products. This was brought about by a fight with Amazon in which all of my reviews were removed over a completely bullshit allegation that I posted a review that violated their terms of service. After going back and forth with the morons in the community-reviews department (even after they admitted that my posts did not violate their guidelines) they restored my account (which took them six months to do), but I have been posting my reviews on my blog to have them preserved in case something like that happens again. And here, I will post uncensored reviews so I will swear from time to time and post reviews that may be longer than Amazon's character limit. Everything I post here on any topic or product is my personal opinion, and I take no compensation for any product reviews I post. I am a member of Amazon's vine program and because I get those products for free, I keep those reviews on Amazon only, but everything I have purchased with my own money, whether from Amazon or some other store/website/outlet, I will post here.  

I also plan to do some longer blog posts on various topics, such as how to learn physics, how to get through calculus, and longer reviews of workout programs as I do them. Basically, whatever strikes me as interesting at the time.  As you can see if you navigate around the blog, I had many years in between postings. During that time I was going back to school to get an engineering degree, and learning material that I avoided my first time through college was a different experience and one that gave me a lot of insight into how to do well in those classes, which I will try to impart here for those who are looking to get a science or engineering degree. 

Friday, March 9, 2012

The I don't have time to work out excuse

We live in a world of instant gratification. People wants what they want, now, without ever having to do much work to get it. This may work for some things (if you are lucky) but does not work for exercise. There is no pill, shake, gadget, powder or other supplement that is going to make you look like a fitness model. Even if you were stupid enough to do steroids, you still have to work out to get results. Just sticking the needle in your ass does not magically transform you. One of the biggest excuses people use for not working out is they do not have time. We all have the same 24 hours each day to do what we need. If you are one of those who get 7-8 hours of sleep every night that still leaves you 16-17 hours a day. which amounts to somewhere around 112-116 hours a week. Have you sat and watched the P90x or Insanity infomercial in its entirety? Well in that time you would have been able to do about half of a P90x workout, finished many of the Chalean Extreme workouts, got about 3/4 of the way through an Insanity workout, or done three 10 minute trainer workouts. Even if you don't have any of those programs you can do pushups, situps and jumping jacks for a half hour and you will have done a workout. You have to make working out a priority. Schedule it into your day like you would a meeting, phone call, grocery shopping, or whatever else. I work full time and go to school part time. And the classes I take for school are some of the hardest you can take at the undergraduate level so I have to put in a significant amount of study time. If I did not schedule my workouts and set aside time for them I would never get them done. I get up early so I have enough time to get my workout in, and then do what I need to do to get ready for school. Other times, I would work out between class and going to work, but I knew what time I was going to work out and what workout I was going to do. Last semester I stopped working out using the excuse that I did not have the time. I was in multivariable calculus which I had 5 days a week and Principles of Nutrition at 8:00am Saturday morning. Add this to the fact that I work from 4:00pm to midnight, it made for a brutal schedule. Looking back though I did have time where I could have scheduled workouts. I just stopped doing them with the intent that it would just be a couple days. That turned into a couple weeks then a couple months. And then, I was starting to get out of shape and decided I had to get back to it at which point I started my current round of P90x. I a perfect world we would all get an hour of exercise each day. We don't live in a perfect world however so you sometimes have to do the best you can with the time you have. Whether it is 30 min on a treadmill, a workout program that has a shorter duration, or just taking a 10 min walk on a break. Anything is better than doing nothing at all. If you have any questions either leave a comment on the blog or click my Team Beachbody page and click the contact me button. Stay fit and have a good weekend!

No comments: