Welcome

Welcome to my ever-evolving blog. It started out as a blog on Beachbody workouts and products, mainly when I was a Beachbody coach. I no longer coach, not because I don't believe in Beachbody's programs (I subscribe to Beachbody on Demand and use their workouts every day), I am just not a salesperson and hated that aspect of it. I am more than willing to answer questions about my experiences with their products and the various workouts, and I feel freer to do so without the appearance of giving a biased review of something.

I have also started adding reviews for various things I have purchased like movies, books, CDs, and other products. This was brought about by a fight with Amazon in which all of my reviews were removed over a completely bullshit allegation that I posted a review that violated their terms of service. After going back and forth with the morons in the community-reviews department (even after they admitted that my posts did not violate their guidelines) they restored my account (which took them six months to do), but I have been posting my reviews on my blog to have them preserved in case something like that happens again. And here, I will post uncensored reviews so I will swear from time to time and post reviews that may be longer than Amazon's character limit. Everything I post here on any topic or product is my personal opinion, and I take no compensation for any product reviews I post. I am a member of Amazon's vine program and because I get those products for free, I keep those reviews on Amazon only, but everything I have purchased with my own money, whether from Amazon or some other store/website/outlet, I will post here.  

I also plan to do some longer blog posts on various topics, such as how to learn physics, how to get through calculus, and longer reviews of workout programs as I do them. Basically, whatever strikes me as interesting at the time.  As you can see if you navigate around the blog, I had many years in between postings. During that time I was going back to school to get an engineering degree, and learning material that I avoided my first time through college was a different experience and one that gave me a lot of insight into how to do well in those classes, which I will try to impart here for those who are looking to get a science or engineering degree. 

Saturday, August 12, 2023

Product Review: Sensi ST55 Programmable Thermostat

 


I got this back in 2017 to replace my non-programmable thermostat. The installation was very easy, just download the Sensi app onto your smartphone (or you can print off the instructions from their website if you do not have a smartphone). If you use the app there is a selection to install and configure a new thermostat (for the DIYers) or to just set the thermostat up if you have it professionally installed. I did it myself and it was very easy. The advantage of using the app to install is you can enter the wiring configuration on your old thermostat and it tells you exactly how to label the wires in the new one, and you just connect the wires to the corresponding ports. It is an easy enough install that those who have limited DIY experience when it comes to home maintenance/repairs can install it. As long as your heating/cooling system is relatively modern you should not run into any issues. The thermostat is powered by 2 AA batteries, but you can use the C-wire to hardwire this if you have one.  It is also compatible with the Amazon Echo, although the skill only allows you to turn the temp on the thermostat up or down. It does not let you adjust or set a programmed schedule.

Once installed you can control and/or program a schedule for the thermostat through the app or via the Sensi website. I found it easier to set a schedule through the website than on the app itself. Either of those options seems easier than doing it on the thermostat itself. One thing I really love so far is that with my old thermostat once it reached the set temperature the heat or AC would turn on and off every few minutes, ultimately wasting a lot of money, so I found myself having to set it 5 degrees lower or higher once it reached the temperature I wanted so it was not constantly turning the furnace or AC on and off. With this, once it hits the desired temp, the thermostat turns the heat off and it stays off. Part of that can be attributed to the weather getting warmer (I live in MN which has had a very warm winter overall this year), but it seems to have a much better range that it allows for before turning the furnace back on. Since I am probably 2.5 to 3 months away from having to use the air conditioning, and a few weeks away from being able to not use the heat at all, I will update my review later should the need arise.

I am still using this as of 2023, and it still works fine. If the battery power gets low enough (even if there is still plenty of power left in the batteries) it will lose the Wi-Fi connection. If you replace the batteries it will (most of the time) reconnect on its own without you having to do anything else. Sometimes, however, you will have to go through the steps in the app to get it connected, which is a pain. But, it has to be connected to the Wi-Fi in order to set up or change a heating or cooling schedule in the app. 

Overall I am very satisfied with it, although it is very early on. The installation could not have been easier, and as long as it does not die quickly it seems like it is a very good, less expensive alternative to some of the other WiFi-enabled thermostats out there.

No comments: