Welcome

Welcome to my ever-evolving blog. It started out as a blog on Beachbody workouts and products, mainly when I was a Beachbody coach. I no longer coach, not because I don't believe in Beachbody's programs (I subscribe to Beachbody on Demand and use their workouts every day), I am just not a salesperson and hated that aspect of it. I am more than willing to answer questions about my experiences with their products and the various workouts, and I feel freer to do so without the appearance of giving a biased review of something.

I have also started adding reviews for various things I have purchased like movies, books, CDs, and other products. This was brought about by a fight with Amazon in which all of my reviews were removed over a completely bullshit allegation that I posted a review that violated their terms of service. After going back and forth with the morons in the community-reviews department (even after they admitted that my posts did not violate their guidelines) they restored my account (which took them six months to do), but I have been posting my reviews on my blog to have them preserved in case something like that happens again. And here, I will post uncensored reviews so I will swear from time to time and post reviews that may be longer than Amazon's character limit. Everything I post here on any topic or product is my personal opinion, and I take no compensation for any product reviews I post. I am a member of Amazon's vine program and because I get those products for free, I keep those reviews on Amazon only, but everything I have purchased with my own money, whether from Amazon or some other store/website/outlet, I will post here.  

I also plan to do some longer blog posts on various topics, such as how to learn physics, how to get through calculus, and longer reviews of workout programs as I do them. Basically, whatever strikes me as interesting at the time.  As you can see if you navigate around the blog, I had many years in between postings. During that time I was going back to school to get an engineering degree, and learning material that I avoided my first time through college was a different experience and one that gave me a lot of insight into how to do well in those classes, which I will try to impart here for those who are looking to get a science or engineering degree. 

Friday, August 25, 2023

App Review: Sling TV

 


I tried Sling TV back in 2018, then switched to YouTube TV (mainly to watch Cobra Kai), and have now switched back to Sling after YouTube TV increased its prices a couple of times without adding any additional content or features. To be clear, despite Sling's claims, it is not truly a-la-carte TV. You cannot select just the channels you want. You have to choose from packages, which, depending on the one you choose will have a pre-selected set of add-ons you can choose. For example, if you want cable news channels you have to choose the mid-level blue package, then pay an extra $5 per month for the "news add-on".  They have subsequently removed the news add-on, but you still have to subscribe to the blue package. Then there are different packages to get extra sports channels and the like. You cannot just pick from a list of all the channels, select the one(s) you want, and pay a flat fee based on that. Here are the pros and cons:

Pros:

1) The app is much more stable than DirecTV NOW (which is what I initially switched from to Sling). It buffers and/or freezes far less at peak internet use time than DirecTV Now does.

2) The optional DVR functionality which allows you to record shows (up to 50 hours worth) and fast forward through them is great, and something lacking on some of the other services. But, see below.

3) Easy to navigate

Cons:

1) Live local channel availability is very limited. In my area, there is no local CBS, NBC, ABC, CW, etc. It does get the local Fox station and the local Fox Sports channel so I can watch some of the local sports teams, but DirecTV NOW has a much better selection.

2) No commercial-free upgrade option when watching on-demand shows. Granted the DVR function eliminates the need for that somewhat, but it would be a nice option to have when you are watching on-demand shows.

3) The DVR reliability is spotty. It does not record everything I have set to record every time there is a new episode. I have it set to record some of the nightly talk shows and some nights it will record fine, and others it skips them all together, even though there is plenty of space available. Also, if you have older recordings on there that you have watched already it will sometimes, depending on what device you are on, throw an error code and not play it. It has also canceled some of the recordings I have set up so I have to go back in and tell it to record the series. And, sometimes when you tell it you only want to record new episodes, it will record re-runs anyway. 

4) While you can select your favorite channels when you go into the guide you will see all the channels, and you do not have the ability to block, lock, or even just hide any channels you do not want to watch.  So, the favorite channel function is basically useless.

Overall, it is the most cost-effective live TV streaming app, but it is definitely not perfect. It has, however, gotten better over time, and will hopefully continue to do so.

No comments: