Welcome

Welcome to my ever-evolving blog. It started out as a blog on Beachbody workouts and products, mainly when I was a Beachbody coach. I no longer coach, not because I don't believe in Beachbody's programs (I subscribe to Beachbody on Demand and use their workouts every day), I am just not a salesperson and hated that aspect of it. I am more than willing to answer questions about my experiences with their products and the various workouts, and I feel freer to do so without the appearance of giving a biased review of something.

I have also started adding reviews for various things I have purchased like movies, books, CDs, and other products. This was brought about by a fight with Amazon in which all of my reviews were removed over a completely bullshit allegation that I posted a review that violated their terms of service. After going back and forth with the morons in the community-reviews department (even after they admitted that my posts did not violate their guidelines) they restored my account (which took them six months to do), but I have been posting my reviews on my blog to have them preserved in case something like that happens again. And here, I will post uncensored reviews so I will swear from time to time and post reviews that may be longer than Amazon's character limit. Everything I post here on any topic or product is my personal opinion, and I take no compensation for any product reviews I post. I am a member of Amazon's vine program and because I get those products for free, I keep those reviews on Amazon only, but everything I have purchased with my own money, whether from Amazon or some other store/website/outlet, I will post here.  

I also plan to do some longer blog posts on various topics, such as how to learn physics, how to get through calculus, and longer reviews of workout programs as I do them. Basically, whatever strikes me as interesting at the time.  As you can see if you navigate around the blog, I had many years in between postings. During that time I was going back to school to get an engineering degree, and learning material that I avoided my first time through college was a different experience and one that gave me a lot of insight into how to do well in those classes, which I will try to impart here for those who are looking to get a science or engineering degree. 

Thursday, October 6, 2022

DVD/TV Series Review: Psych: The Complete Third Season

 


+++Warning, this contains a minor season two spoiler, but not major giveaways about season three+++

Season three of Psych actually evolved the show quite a bit. First, it branched out the storylines of having Shawn and Gus consult for the Santa Barbara police department but take on their own cases (usually with an attractive woman involved). Second, it started to incorporate serial story arcs into the show so it was not just a case-of-the-week procedural. At the beginning of the season, the tease from the last second of the season two finale is paid off, revealing Shawn's mother (played by Cybill Shepherd) has returned, and she plays a large role in the show throughout the season. Then, at the end of the season, there is the introduction of a character and a storyline that will span multiple seasons of the show. Of course, the case-of-the-week stories did remain, as did the multiple 80s and 90s pop culture references.

For those who get the DVD set, there are, again, a lot of extras, including deleted scenes for most episodes, video and/or podcast commentary tracks for many of the episodes, a hilarious gag reel, and more. The show also continues to get a ton of great guest and recurring stars including Rachael Leigh Cook, Phylicia Rashad, Kieth David (who replaced Ernie Hudson as Gus's father), Ally Sheedy, Jimmi Simpson, MacKenzie Astin, Justine Bateman, Jere Burns, F Gary Cole, Barry Corbin, Jeff Fahey, Frank Gifford, Mickie James, Jane Lynch, Christopher McDonald, Ted McGinley, Richard Riehle, Alan Ruck, Jonathan Silverman, Steven Weber, and Mykelti Williamson are among the most recognizable.

Overall, if you liked the first couple of seasons of the show, you will probably feel the same way about this one. The show does a good job of continuing to develop the characters, keeping the tension between Shawn and Juliet amped up without getting them together too quickly, and generally just being really funny. It is about 90% comedy, 10% drama, and pretty much 100% tongue-in-cheek. If you grew up in the 1980s and 1900s the jokes probably land a bit better than if you are older or younger, but that said, it is a great show that is well worth the time to watch.



No comments: