Welcome

Welcome to my ever-evolving blog. It started out as a blog on Beachbody workouts and products, mainly when I was a Beachbody coach. I no longer coach, not because I don't believe in Beachbody's programs (I subscribe to Beachbody on Demand and use their workouts every day), I am just not a salesperson and hated that aspect of it. I am more than willing to answer questions about my experiences with their products and the various workouts, and I feel freer to do so without the appearance of giving a biased review of something.

I have also started adding reviews for various things I have purchased like movies, books, CDs, and other products. This was brought about by a fight with Amazon in which all of my reviews were removed over a completely bullshit allegation that I posted a review that violated their terms of service. After going back and forth with the morons in the community-reviews department (even after they admitted that my posts did not violate their guidelines) they restored my account (which took them six months to do), but I have been posting my reviews on my blog to have them preserved in case something like that happens again. And here, I will post uncensored reviews so I will swear from time to time and post reviews that may be longer than Amazon's character limit. Everything I post here on any topic or product is my personal opinion, and I take no compensation for any product reviews I post. I am a member of Amazon's vine program and because I get those products for free, I keep those reviews on Amazon only, but everything I have purchased with my own money, whether from Amazon or some other store/website/outlet, I will post here.  

I also plan to do some longer blog posts on various topics, such as how to learn physics, how to get through calculus, and longer reviews of workout programs as I do them. Basically, whatever strikes me as interesting at the time.  As you can see if you navigate around the blog, I had many years in between postings. During that time I was going back to school to get an engineering degree, and learning material that I avoided my first time through college was a different experience and one that gave me a lot of insight into how to do well in those classes, which I will try to impart here for those who are looking to get a science or engineering degree. 

Tuesday, October 18, 2022

Blu-Ray/TV Series Review: Arrow: Season 4

 


+++Warning, this contains spoilers from season three, but no major season four spoilers+++

There is a lot going on in season four of Arrow. In the present, Thea is feeling the effects of the Lazarus pit, becoming more and more aggressive, yet is also feeling guilty about killing Sara and tries to get Malcolm Merlyn to revive her. Also in the present, Oliver has taken the mantle of The Green Arrow, vowing to protect the city, yet try to work more within the bounds of the law. The new big bad of the season is revealed to be Damien Darhk, the leader of a group called H.I.V.E., terrorizing the city as Darhk tries to take down Oliver. Team Arrow has expanded with Diggle and Laurel joining Oliver in the field, while Felicity operates as Overwatch. In the flashbacks, we see more of Oliver's time on the island, now working, against his will, for A.R.G.U.S. and Amanda Waller. The character of Constantine is officially brought into the Arrowverse with the appearance of Matt Ryan, who was fresh from his canceled show on NBC. This season also gives us crossover episodes withThe Flash, which also sever as a backdoor pilot for the newest Arrowverse series Legends of Tomorrow. The Flash episode of the crossover is included on this set, so you do not have to get (or switch over to) the Flash DVD or Blu-Ray set to watch it.

For those who get the Blu-Ray set, the show looks and sounds great in HD, as it has in the prior seasons. Of course, the show makes a lot of use of CGI effects and does a great job (especially for a TV show) of making them look seamless with the practical effects. The extras are not as extensive as in the prior season releases, however. Those include deleted scenes across the four discs, two featurettes focused on characters (Hawkman, Hawkgirl, and Vandal Savage) from "Legends of Tomorrow", and a featurette on Damien Dahrk. Then there is also a short gag reel and footage from a Comic-Con panel. Even though there are not as many extras as we got in prior seasons, what was included is good.

Overall, the season is good. It builds the Oliver vs. Darhk to a crescendo with a final battle. Darhk's past is a bit of a mystery at the beginning of the season and more details get revealed throughout the course of the season. There is more cast juggling, some of which is a bit of a misdirection, with some characters being introduced that will take a larger role in subsequent seasons and others that were shifted over to Legends of Tomorrow. In general, the DC tv universe has been a lot more cohesive and well-run than the DC movie universe, and the Arrowverse is really telling a bunch of different intertwined stories with Arrow as the lead show. The show is a very good blend of action and drama, and Stephen Amell continues to grow into the main character, doing a great job as the series lead. So, if you were a fan of the first few seasons of the show, this one is definitely worth watching.

No comments: