Welcome

Welcome to my ever-evolving blog. It started out as a blog on Beachbody workouts and products, mainly when I was a Beachbody coach. I no longer coach, not because I don't believe in Beachbody's programs (I subscribe to Beachbody on Demand and use their workouts every day), I am just not a salesperson and hated that aspect of it. I am more than willing to answer questions about my experiences with their products and the various workouts, and I feel freer to do so without the appearance of giving a biased review of something.

I have also started adding reviews for various things I have purchased like movies, books, CDs, and other products. This was brought about by a fight with Amazon in which all of my reviews were removed over a completely bullshit allegation that I posted a review that violated their terms of service. After going back and forth with the morons in the community-reviews department (even after they admitted that my posts did not violate their guidelines) they restored my account (which took them six months to do), but I have been posting my reviews on my blog to have them preserved in case something like that happens again. And here, I will post uncensored reviews so I will swear from time to time and post reviews that may be longer than Amazon's character limit. Everything I post here on any topic or product is my personal opinion, and I take no compensation for any product reviews I post. I am a member of Amazon's vine program and because I get those products for free, I keep those reviews on Amazon only, but everything I have purchased with my own money, whether from Amazon or some other store/website/outlet, I will post here.  

I also plan to do some longer blog posts on various topics, such as how to learn physics, how to get through calculus, and longer reviews of workout programs as I do them. Basically, whatever strikes me as interesting at the time.  As you can see if you navigate around the blog, I had many years in between postings. During that time I was going back to school to get an engineering degree, and learning material that I avoided my first time through college was a different experience and one that gave me a lot of insight into how to do well in those classes, which I will try to impart here for those who are looking to get a science or engineering degree. 

Thursday, October 6, 2022

Blu-Ray/TV Series Review: Charmed: Season Three

 



The third season of Charmed was one that put the series in flux. It would serve as a transitional season for the show, with a huge cliffhanger that would allow for major cast turnover. After all this time most people likely know how it played out, but I will not spoil anything here.

Season three mostly follows the freak-of-the-week format (much like the series Smallville was doing) but it did start to interweave larger story arcs. The two big ones this season involved Piper and Leo's relationship, and the second one involved a relationship between Phoebe and the new District Attorney, played by Julian McMahon, who is more than he appears to be. There are a couple of really good time jump shows, one that sends the women back into Salem at the time of the witch trials, and one that is a flashback episode that included Finola Hughes and Jennifer Rhodes (both of whom make more than one appearance this season).

For those who get the blu-ray set, it is basically an MOD set. There are no extras, but there are captions in both German and English. So, it is very, very, bare bones. The Blu-Ray transfer is okay, but it did not get what you would call a high-quality HD upgrade. Although, since these episodes were filmed in 2001, and the show had a bigger budget than it did the first couple of seasons, the CGI special effects did look a bit better. The show did get a good slate of recognizable guest stars (and included the occasional early 2000s musical guest and/or songs in the show). Some of the guests this season included Harry Groener (who played the Mayor in the best season of Buffy), Rainn Wilson (from The Office), Ron Pearlman, Kevin Weismann (from Alias), Dana Ashbrook (from Twin Peaks), Ashley Tisdale, and a handful of WCW wrestlers, who appeared in a pretty cheesy episode. The musical guests included The Coors, Orgy, and The Barenaked Ladies.

Overall, the season is good. It does have some weak points, certainly, and some of the things that they wrote into the show (like the go be with your man when your sister is in danger stuff) would probably not be done the same way today. And, I am not sure they would get away with putting Alyssa Milano and Shannen Doherty in skimpy cleavage-baring tops in every single episode as they did back then. I think some things about the show hold up well, but some things most assuredly do not. This was also the season where the feud between Milano and Doherty came to a head. While they have both addressed it vaguely and acknowledged it was a thing, it did not seem to actually boil over into their on-camera work together. The one big complaint that I had about the season is that the character of Daryl was rarely given anything important to do this season, and he was an also-ran character for a big part of the season. Other than that, I think that the writers did a pretty good job giving the other characters storylines with substance. The acting was always good, even when the actors did not have great material to work with, and the show and the actors could switch from comedy to drama within a couple of scenes. While I do not think it was as good a show as Buffy, the other girl-power-empowered supernatural-themed show of the time, I do think it was worth watching.

No comments: