Welcome

Welcome to my ever-evolving blog. It started out as a blog on Beachbody workouts and products, mainly when I was a Beachbody coach. I no longer coach, not because I don't believe in Beachbody's programs (I subscribe to Beachbody on Demand and use their workouts every day), I am just not a salesperson and hated that aspect of it. I am more than willing to answer questions about my experiences with their products and the various workouts, and I feel freer to do so without the appearance of giving a biased review of something.

I have also started adding reviews for various things I have purchased like movies, books, CDs, and other products. This was brought about by a fight with Amazon in which all of my reviews were removed over a completely bullshit allegation that I posted a review that violated their terms of service. After going back and forth with the morons in the community-reviews department (even after they admitted that my posts did not violate their guidelines) they restored my account (which took them six months to do), but I have been posting my reviews on my blog to have them preserved in case something like that happens again. And here, I will post uncensored reviews so I will swear from time to time and post reviews that may be longer than Amazon's character limit. Everything I post here on any topic or product is my personal opinion, and I take no compensation for any product reviews I post. I am a member of Amazon's vine program and because I get those products for free, I keep those reviews on Amazon only, but everything I have purchased with my own money, whether from Amazon or some other store/website/outlet, I will post here.  

I also plan to do some longer blog posts on various topics, such as how to learn physics, how to get through calculus, and longer reviews of workout programs as I do them. Basically, whatever strikes me as interesting at the time.  As you can see if you navigate around the blog, I had many years in between postings. During that time I was going back to school to get an engineering degree, and learning material that I avoided my first time through college was a different experience and one that gave me a lot of insight into how to do well in those classes, which I will try to impart here for those who are looking to get a science or engineering degree. 

Tuesday, May 3, 2022

DVD/TV Series Review: The Incredible Hulk: Season 5

 


Season five of The Incredible Hulk is barely a season, just seven episodes. For those who are not aware, the series was actually canceled by CBS before the fifth season would have aired, but, the producers filmed the first seven episodes to be aired in the fifth season at the end of season four to have ready in case a strike shut down Hollywood productions. I don't know if the strike ever materialized, but unbeknownst to anyone involved with the show, the head of CBS decided to can the show basically right before he was fired from the Network, and as a result, the show was left without any real conclusion to the story. The seven episodes were really just the same story-of-the-week episodes that the show had been running since the first season. Jack Colvin only appears in a single episode, and what ended up being the series finale (which for sharp-eyed viewers features a young Xander Berkeley, probably best known for his roles on 24 and the series Nikita), while a good episode (the best of the season) was just another "regular" episode. The showrunner, Kenneth Johnson, did try to get CBS to agree to film an additional six episodes to give the story a proper conclusion, but that never came to pass, and thus the show just abruptly ended.

For those who get the DVD set, the only extras are a 20-minute retrospective on the series in which Johnson and some of the other writers and producers shared their thoughts on the series. Of course, Bill Bixby had passed away by the time any of the extras for any of the seasons were filmed so he could not participate, and Lou Ferrigno was not interviewed for the feature. Then, there is a gag reel from episodes throughout the series, basically involving Bixby, which is funny but does include a lot of swearing (for those who care).

Overall, the season, for what it was, was good, but very much incomplete. It definitely had that early 1980s feel to it, and like the other seasons, some things hold up better than others. Surely the series would not be made the same way today as it was back then. For one, there probably would have been a lot less of recycling the same guest stars in different roles. This season Diana Mulder, who had guest-starred as David's sister in an earlier episode, played a nun in a convent near the Mexican border in an episode that involved the local bad guy trafficking illegal immigrants across the border and making them work for him. Even though the season ended abruptly and without a proper conclusion, if you have liked the other seasons, this one is worth having if nothing else to complete your collection.



No comments: