Welcome

Welcome to my ever-evolving blog. It started out as a blog on Beachbody workouts and products, mainly when I was a Beachbody coach. I no longer coach, not because I don't believe in Beachbody's programs (I subscribe to Beachbody on Demand and use their workouts every day), I am just not a salesperson and hated that aspect of it. I am more than willing to answer questions about my experiences with their products and the various workouts, and I feel freer to do so without the appearance of giving a biased review of something.

I have also started adding reviews for various things I have purchased like movies, books, CDs, and other products. This was brought about by a fight with Amazon in which all of my reviews were removed over a completely bullshit allegation that I posted a review that violated their terms of service. After going back and forth with the morons in the community-reviews department (even after they admitted that my posts did not violate their guidelines) they restored my account (which took them six months to do), but I have been posting my reviews on my blog to have them preserved in case something like that happens again. And here, I will post uncensored reviews so I will swear from time to time and post reviews that may be longer than Amazon's character limit. Everything I post here on any topic or product is my personal opinion, and I take no compensation for any product reviews I post. I am a member of Amazon's vine program and because I get those products for free, I keep those reviews on Amazon only, but everything I have purchased with my own money, whether from Amazon or some other store/website/outlet, I will post here.  

I also plan to do some longer blog posts on various topics, such as how to learn physics, how to get through calculus, and longer reviews of workout programs as I do them. Basically, whatever strikes me as interesting at the time.  As you can see if you navigate around the blog, I had many years in between postings. During that time I was going back to school to get an engineering degree, and learning material that I avoided my first time through college was a different experience and one that gave me a lot of insight into how to do well in those classes, which I will try to impart here for those who are looking to get a science or engineering degree. 

Thursday, May 19, 2022

Blu-Ray/Movie Review: Prometheus

 


When this movie was announced a lot of fans of the Alien franchise of movies (at least those that came before the whole Alien vs. Predator thing) thought that they were finally getting a direct prequel to Ridley Scott's original Alien movie. Without spoiling anything too much, that is definitely NOT what this movie is. The movie is set in 2093, several years after a star map is discovered by scientists Elizabeth Shaw (Noomi Rapace) and Charlie Holloway (Logan Marshall-Green) that hints at the origin of human life as created by "The Engineers", a race of superhuman aliens. Peter Weyland (played by Guy Pierce), the elderly CEO of Weyland Corporation (the same corporation from the original movies), funds an expedition, aboard the scientific vessel Prometheus, to follow the map to the distant moon LV-223 (which is not the same moon from the movie Alien). The ship's crew travels in stasis while the android David (played by Michael Fassbender) monitors their voyage. When the ship arrives at the moon, mission director Meredith Vickers (played by Charlize Theron) lays out the mission to find the Engineers and not to make contact without her permission.

The movie is what I would call hit and miss. Some things worked well, others require massive leaps in logic, beyond the typical suspension of disbelief that Sci-Fi movies often require. Plus, the characters make some deeply stupid decisions throughout the movie. Like B-level horror movie stupid decisions. That said, the visuals are absolutely stunning in HD, and Fassbender and Rapace deliver great performances. I like that the Engineers were not really totally fleshed out and we did not learn everything about them in this movie.

The extras include two different commentary tracks on the movie; one features director Ridley Scott, while the other features co-writers John Spaihts and Damon Lindelof. Then there are just under forty minutes of deleted, extended, and alternate scenes that allow the option to play commentary by editor Pietro Scalia and VFX supervisor Richard Stammers. Then there is a collection of Internet Promo Clips that run just under twenty minutes called The Peter Weyland Files which reveal a few interesting character moments and fleshes out the story a bit.

I would say if you go into this movie wanting a direct prequel to Alien you will be very disappointed. If you look at it as a movie that is introducing the "world" of the Alien franchise and clearly setting up additional movies to come after it that will (hopefully) eventually lead to a direct prequel to Alien, then I think it can be enjoyable, even if it is not as good as the original movie or the sequel Aliens. It is definitely as good, or better than the other sequels, however. So, I recommend it if you set your expectations accordingly.

No comments: