Welcome

Welcome to my ever-evolving blog. It started out as a blog on Beachbody workouts and products, mainly when I was a Beachbody coach. I no longer coach, not because I don't believe in Beachbody's programs (I subscribe to Beachbody on Demand and use their workouts every day), I am just not a salesperson and hated that aspect of it. I am more than willing to answer questions about my experiences with their products and the various workouts, and I feel freer to do so without the appearance of giving a biased review of something.

I have also started adding reviews for various things I have purchased like movies, books, CDs, and other products. This was brought about by a fight with Amazon in which all of my reviews were removed over a completely bullshit allegation that I posted a review that violated their terms of service. After going back and forth with the morons in the community-reviews department (even after they admitted that my posts did not violate their guidelines) they restored my account (which took them six months to do), but I have been posting my reviews on my blog to have them preserved in case something like that happens again. And here, I will post uncensored reviews so I will swear from time to time and post reviews that may be longer than Amazon's character limit. Everything I post here on any topic or product is my personal opinion, and I take no compensation for any product reviews I post. I am a member of Amazon's vine program and because I get those products for free, I keep those reviews on Amazon only, but everything I have purchased with my own money, whether from Amazon or some other store/website/outlet, I will post here.  

I also plan to do some longer blog posts on various topics, such as how to learn physics, how to get through calculus, and longer reviews of workout programs as I do them. Basically, whatever strikes me as interesting at the time.  As you can see if you navigate around the blog, I had many years in between postings. During that time I was going back to school to get an engineering degree, and learning material that I avoided my first time through college was a different experience and one that gave me a lot of insight into how to do well in those classes, which I will try to impart here for those who are looking to get a science or engineering degree. 

Friday, May 6, 2022

Blu-Ray/TV Series Review: Chuck: The Complete Fifth and Final Season

 


+++Warning, this contains spoilers from season four, but no major giveaways from the final season.+++

The fifth season of Chuck is another partial season, that was basically given to wrap up the series and provide the fans with a proper ending. It starts out with a short time jump from the end of season four with Chuck and Sarah married and having used the billion-dollar gift to rebuild the base under the Buy More and start Carmichael Industries. Morgan has the new intersect and is brought along on missions, but left in the car, much to his disappointment. The overarching story arc throughout the season is that everything from season one on has been manipulated as part of a larger conspiracy that the team has to try and unravel. The supporting cast is not used as extensively this year as it was in prior seasons, likely due to budget cuts, but there are some great Jeffster moments, the highlight of which is Jeff getting clean and basically figuring everything out. There are a bunch of great guest stars this season including Mark Hamill, Brandon Routh, Carrie-Anne Moss, Angus Macfadyen, Linda Hamilton, and Bo Derek, playing herself in a great episode.

For those who get the Blu-Ray, the show looks and sounds great in HD, as it always has. The extras include commentary tracks on the final two episodes, a feature on making the final episode, a tribute to the fans of the show who were basically the reason it kept going as long as it did, a feature on the music of the show, and a few features on the beginning of the show, the evolution of the show, and predictions from the cast and crew about where the characters would end up in the future. There are also deleted scenes, a gag reel, and full versions of the Buy More commercials. So, a lot of extras for those who like them.

Overall, the season was bittersweet. It did give the fans a proper ending that the season four finale did not provide. It was not necessarily a happily ever after ending for the show and definitely left some things unresolved, but I think the show did a nice job taking a risk by not giving an ending that tied up every single thing and had all of the characters in a perfect place at the end. There were some very good episodes and some clunkers in the season, but like the series as a whole, the season was good overall and ended the series at the right time.

No comments: