Welcome

Welcome to my ever-evolving blog. It started out as a blog on Beachbody workouts and products, mainly when I was a Beachbody coach. I no longer coach, not because I don't believe in Beachbody's programs (I subscribe to Beachbody on Demand and use their workouts every day), I am just not a salesperson and hated that aspect of it. I am more than willing to answer questions about my experiences with their products and the various workouts, and I feel freer to do so without the appearance of giving a biased review of something.

I have also started adding reviews for various things I have purchased like movies, books, CDs, and other products. This was brought about by a fight with Amazon in which all of my reviews were removed over a completely bullshit allegation that I posted a review that violated their terms of service. After going back and forth with the morons in the community-reviews department (even after they admitted that my posts did not violate their guidelines) they restored my account (which took them six months to do), but I have been posting my reviews on my blog to have them preserved in case something like that happens again. And here, I will post uncensored reviews so I will swear from time to time and post reviews that may be longer than Amazon's character limit. Everything I post here on any topic or product is my personal opinion, and I take no compensation for any product reviews I post. I am a member of Amazon's vine program and because I get those products for free, I keep those reviews on Amazon only, but everything I have purchased with my own money, whether from Amazon or some other store/website/outlet, I will post here.  

I also plan to do some longer blog posts on various topics, such as how to learn physics, how to get through calculus, and longer reviews of workout programs as I do them. Basically, whatever strikes me as interesting at the time.  As you can see if you navigate around the blog, I had many years in between postings. During that time I was going back to school to get an engineering degree, and learning material that I avoided my first time through college was a different experience and one that gave me a lot of insight into how to do well in those classes, which I will try to impart here for those who are looking to get a science or engineering degree. 

Thursday, May 26, 2022

DVD/TV Series Review: Castle Season 5

 


+++Warning, this contains spoilers from the prior season but no major giveaways from season five.+++

The fifth season picks up with Castle and Beckett in the afterglow of finally hooking up and Beckett pretty hilariously sneaking out of Castle's place when Martha brings home a hungover Alexis. The season premiere also brings in the great Jack Coleman (from Heroes) and inserts him in a major way into the storyline involving Beckett's mother. The rest of the season manages to follow a similar case-of-the-week format that also weaves serial arcs in and out throughout the season. This season also includes the show's 100th episode which is a pretty hilarious take on the movie Rear Window. There is also an episode that has multiple nods to the series Firefly, including Fillion dressing up like his character Mal (and Alexis making fun of him for it). The show does a good job introducing obstacles and tension into the Castle-Beckett relationship to keep the show from getting stale after the leads finally get together.

The DVD extras include deleted scenes, a gag reel, a few behind-the-scenes featurettes, and commentary tracks on selected episodes. So, there is quite a bit of material for those who like going through the bonus features.

Overall, the series continues to be a good blend of drama a comedy. Fillion and Katic have very good onscreen chemistry in this season, and if the alleged personal issues that led to the end of the show had started between the two of them, it was not obvious in the episodes. The writing and acting were very good and the show ended on yet another cliffhanger. If you have liked the prior seasons of the show, you will probably still like this season. You definitely will want to watch the prior seasons before jumping into this one because, while the episodes are mostly self-contained, there is a lot of character development that has happened up to this point that is helpful to have seen.



No comments: