Welcome

Welcome to my ever-evolving blog. It started out as a blog on Beachbody workouts and products, mainly when I was a Beachbody coach. I no longer coach, not because I don't believe in Beachbody's programs (I subscribe to Beachbody on Demand and use their workouts every day), I am just not a salesperson and hated that aspect of it. I am more than willing to answer questions about my experiences with their products and the various workouts, and I feel freer to do so without the appearance of giving a biased review of something.

I have also started adding reviews for various things I have purchased like movies, books, CDs, and other products. This was brought about by a fight with Amazon in which all of my reviews were removed over a completely bullshit allegation that I posted a review that violated their terms of service. After going back and forth with the morons in the community-reviews department (even after they admitted that my posts did not violate their guidelines) they restored my account (which took them six months to do), but I have been posting my reviews on my blog to have them preserved in case something like that happens again. And here, I will post uncensored reviews so I will swear from time to time and post reviews that may be longer than Amazon's character limit. Everything I post here on any topic or product is my personal opinion, and I take no compensation for any product reviews I post. I am a member of Amazon's vine program and because I get those products for free, I keep those reviews on Amazon only, but everything I have purchased with my own money, whether from Amazon or some other store/website/outlet, I will post here.  

I also plan to do some longer blog posts on various topics, such as how to learn physics, how to get through calculus, and longer reviews of workout programs as I do them. Basically, whatever strikes me as interesting at the time.  As you can see if you navigate around the blog, I had many years in between postings. During that time I was going back to school to get an engineering degree, and learning material that I avoided my first time through college was a different experience and one that gave me a lot of insight into how to do well in those classes, which I will try to impart here for those who are looking to get a science or engineering degree. 

Tuesday, May 10, 2022

Blu-Ray/TV Series Review: Charmed Season 2

 


Season two of Charmed took the show in a slightly different direction. It still used the "monster-of-the-week" format but did things like incorporating music much more into the show, largely by having notable bands and musicians like The Cranberries, The Goo Goo Dolls, and Paula Cole (not signing the Dawson's Creek Theme Song) perform at the sisters' club, P3. So, if you are a fan of the late 1990s/early 2000s music, the show will really give you nostalgic flashbacks. The show also introduced two new characters, Dan Gordon (played by Greg Vaughan) and his niece Jenny (played by Karis Paige Bryant) as the sister's new neighbors. Dan was a series regular the entire season and used to introduce a love triangle into the Piper-Leo relationship, and Jenny was billed as a series regular for a handful of episodes, then was dropped to a recurring character, then written out of the series partway through the season. Dorian Gregory's role was also expanded as the sisters would help Darryl solve various supernatural crimes.

For those who get the Blu-Ray set, the show looks okay in the HD format. Sometimes it looks great, and sometimes the HD format really highlights just how bad the special effects still were back then. The CGI was a bit better in season two than it was in season one, but only slightly and you can really tell how fake things were when watching in HD. As far as extras go, there are none. There are no deleted scenes, no gag reel, and no behind-the-scenes material. Just the episodes themselves. And, unlike the season one Blu-Ray set, the episodes are not captioned at all which is a pain for people who are hard of hearing and rely on the captions.

Overall, the show is good, even if a bit cheesy at times. Shannen Doherty, Holly Marie Combs, and Alyssa Milano had great chemistry together, and if any of the tension that has been rumored between members of the cast had started during the filming of season two, it was not evident in any of their performances. The show also included a great set of recognizable guest stars including Dean Norris (who would go on to be a co-star on Breaking Bad), Misha Collins (who would go on to star in Supernatural), Arnold Vosloo (from the Mummy movies), Amy Adams, Billy Drago (the wonderful character actor who played mostly bad guys throughout his career), and French Stewart. If you were a fan of the first season, the second season is definitely worth watching.

No comments: