Welcome

Welcome to my ever-evolving blog. It started out as a blog on Beachbody workouts and products, mainly when I was a Beachbody coach. I no longer coach, not because I don't believe in Beachbody's programs (I subscribe to Beachbody on Demand and use their workouts every day), I am just not a salesperson and hated that aspect of it. I am more than willing to answer questions about my experiences with their products and the various workouts, and I feel freer to do so without the appearance of giving a biased review of something.

I have also started adding reviews for various things I have purchased like movies, books, CDs, and other products. This was brought about by a fight with Amazon in which all of my reviews were removed over a completely bullshit allegation that I posted a review that violated their terms of service. After going back and forth with the morons in the community-reviews department (even after they admitted that my posts did not violate their guidelines) they restored my account (which took them six months to do), but I have been posting my reviews on my blog to have them preserved in case something like that happens again. And here, I will post uncensored reviews so I will swear from time to time and post reviews that may be longer than Amazon's character limit. Everything I post here on any topic or product is my personal opinion, and I take no compensation for any product reviews I post. I am a member of Amazon's vine program and because I get those products for free, I keep those reviews on Amazon only, but everything I have purchased with my own money, whether from Amazon or some other store/website/outlet, I will post here.  

I also plan to do some longer blog posts on various topics, such as how to learn physics, how to get through calculus, and longer reviews of workout programs as I do them. Basically, whatever strikes me as interesting at the time.  As you can see if you navigate around the blog, I had many years in between postings. During that time I was going back to school to get an engineering degree, and learning material that I avoided my first time through college was a different experience and one that gave me a lot of insight into how to do well in those classes, which I will try to impart here for those who are looking to get a science or engineering degree. 

Friday, July 12, 2024

CD/Music Review: The Monkees Live - The Mike & Micky Show

 


The Mike and Mickey Show is a live album from 2020 featuring the two (at the time) living members of The Monkees, Mickey Dolenz and Mike Nesmith. The album was recorded during the first tour for the remaining members after Peter Tork died in 2019 and would be one of the final performances for Nesmith, whose health was failing before he passed away in late 2021. This album has 25 tracks and includes most of the hits, aside from the Theme From the Monkees and some of the less well-known songs from the 1960s. There are also a couple of songs from their last studio album, Good Times.

I was not around for the Monkee's debut on TV and subsequent stardom, but I was a perfect age in 1986 when the 20th anniversary of the TV show came around to become a fan. At that time, the TV show was being rerun on Nickelodeon, MTV, and local syndication. There was a reunion tour by Peter, Davy, and Micky, with Mike joining here and there but not fully participating, as well as a greatest hits album with a few new songs and an album of new material by Davy, Micky, and Peter. Like most, I was definitely hooked by the TV show, and as I got older and learned about the story of the group I became a bigger fan, and always picked up the CDs as they have been released over the years.

As most know, the group started as a fake band for a TV show to capitalize on the popularity of The Beatles, with two actors who had some musical talent (Davy and Micky) and two musicians with some acting ability (Mike and Peter) answering a casting call. They ultimately became a real band, who at the height of their popularity in 1967, sold more albums than any artist or group, including The Beatles. Over the years they have put out reunion albums like "Justus" and "Good Times" as well as doing limited tour dates. It was always mainly Micky, Davy, and Peter touring, but Mike had taken a more active role over time. With Davy and Peter having passed away and Micky and Mike not exactly being Springchickens anymore, this may be the last album that gets put out under The Monkees banner.

This album is very good. Even though Mike and Micky sound older than they did 50 or even 30 years ago, they still sound good and can pull off the vocals well. The album will give anyone who is a fan of the group a bit of nostalgia, and while it is not quite a "Monkees" album without Peter and Davy, it is definitely worth the pickup.

No comments: