Welcome

Welcome to my ever-evolving blog. It started out as a blog on Beachbody workouts and products, mainly when I was a Beachbody coach. I no longer coach, not because I don't believe in Beachbody's programs (I subscribe to Beachbody on Demand and use their workouts every day), I am just not a salesperson and hated that aspect of it. I am more than willing to answer questions about my experiences with their products and the various workouts, and I feel freer to do so without the appearance of giving a biased review of something.

I have also started adding reviews for various things I have purchased like movies, books, CDs, and other products. This was brought about by a fight with Amazon in which all of my reviews were removed over a completely bullshit allegation that I posted a review that violated their terms of service. After going back and forth with the morons in the community-reviews department (even after they admitted that my posts did not violate their guidelines) they restored my account (which took them six months to do), but I have been posting my reviews on my blog to have them preserved in case something like that happens again. And here, I will post uncensored reviews so I will swear from time to time and post reviews that may be longer than Amazon's character limit. Everything I post here on any topic or product is my personal opinion, and I take no compensation for any product reviews I post. I am a member of Amazon's vine program and because I get those products for free, I keep those reviews on Amazon only, but everything I have purchased with my own money, whether from Amazon or some other store/website/outlet, I will post here.  

I also plan to do some longer blog posts on various topics, such as how to learn physics, how to get through calculus, and longer reviews of workout programs as I do them. Basically, whatever strikes me as interesting at the time.  As you can see if you navigate around the blog, I had many years in between postings. During that time I was going back to school to get an engineering degree, and learning material that I avoided my first time through college was a different experience and one that gave me a lot of insight into how to do well in those classes, which I will try to impart here for those who are looking to get a science or engineering degree. 

Sunday, April 14, 2024

Book Review: Dune: The Duke of Caladan (Dune #11) #Dune

 


The Duke of Caladan, published in 2020, is the 11th book in the Dune Saga (when reading them in chronological order) and the first in the Caladan trilogy. It is one of now four novels (the other two in the Caladan trilogy and the new novel, Princess of Dune) set in the two years immediately before the events of the original 1965 novel Dune. This one was again written by the duo of Brian Herbert, the son of Frank Herbert, and Kevin J. Anderson. Like the other prequel novels, this one has several storylines. The major storyline set on Caladan involves a drug that is being manufactured from one of Caladan's native plants and is killing people throughout the imperium (unbeknownst to Leto). The second storyline is set on Arrakis and involves illegal spice production and smuggling after Emperor Corrino imposes a surcharge on spice. The final storyline involves the Sisterhood and a warning about Jessica and Paul. 

The hardcover version of the book is just under 320 pages long. While the book is centered around the character of Leto Atreides, Paul, Jessica, Gurney Halleck, Duncan Idaho, Baron Harkonnen, Mother Mohiam, and Emperor  Corrino are all featured prominently. The book ends on a bit of a cliffhanger that will carry over into the next books in the Caladan trilogy as the authors set up the events of the original novel. If you are a fan of the Dune series, the book is absolutely worth the time to read.

No comments: