Welcome

Welcome to my ever-evolving blog. It started out as a blog on Beachbody workouts and products, mainly when I was a Beachbody coach. I no longer coach, not because I don't believe in Beachbody's programs (I subscribe to Beachbody on Demand and use their workouts every day), I am just not a salesperson and hated that aspect of it. I am more than willing to answer questions about my experiences with their products and the various workouts, and I feel freer to do so without the appearance of giving a biased review of something.

I have also started adding reviews for various things I have purchased like movies, books, CDs, and other products. This was brought about by a fight with Amazon in which all of my reviews were removed over a completely bullshit allegation that I posted a review that violated their terms of service. After going back and forth with the morons in the community-reviews department (even after they admitted that my posts did not violate their guidelines) they restored my account (which took them six months to do), but I have been posting my reviews on my blog to have them preserved in case something like that happens again. And here, I will post uncensored reviews so I will swear from time to time and post reviews that may be longer than Amazon's character limit. Everything I post here on any topic or product is my personal opinion, and I take no compensation for any product reviews I post. I am a member of Amazon's vine program and because I get those products for free, I keep those reviews on Amazon only, but everything I have purchased with my own money, whether from Amazon or some other store/website/outlet, I will post here.  

I also plan to do some longer blog posts on various topics, such as how to learn physics, how to get through calculus, and longer reviews of workout programs as I do them. Basically, whatever strikes me as interesting at the time.  As you can see if you navigate around the blog, I had many years in between postings. During that time I was going back to school to get an engineering degree, and learning material that I avoided my first time through college was a different experience and one that gave me a lot of insight into how to do well in those classes, which I will try to impart here for those who are looking to get a science or engineering degree. 

Tuesday, April 30, 2024

Blu-Ray/Movie Review: A Nightmare on Elm Street (2010)

 


This is the 2010 remake of A Nightmare On Elm Street, directed by Samuel Bayer and starring Jackie Earle Haley, Kyle Gallner, Katie Cassidy, Rooney Mara, Connie Britton, and Thomas Dekker. The movie is not a shot-for-shot remake of the original, nor is it another sequel. It is a retelling of the original story that pays homage to some of what we saw in the first film but does tell a different version of the story. There is more given to Freddy's back story than just the fact that he was a child murderer that was told in the original movie. His origin is much more fleshed out in this movie. Secondly, they have dropped the one-liners and jokes out of Freddy's persona (for the most part) and he is much more the sinister boogieman-like character he was in the first movie. While it is definitely weird not to hear Robert Englund's voice, the fact that they were making Freddy even darker in this movie than in most of the other sequels to the original movie allowed me to more easily accept Jackie Earle Haley in that role.

Pretty much all of the teenage characters (and even the parents) in this movie were different than their versions in the original movie. For example, this version of Nancy (played by Mara) was totally different than the version of the character played by Heather Langenkamp, and the role of her father (played by John Saxon in the original film) was omitted altogether. There are also some totally new characters added to this version who were not in the original movie. It takes a while to get used to the changes in the story and the characters, although, as I said, some of the shots from the original movie (like the glove coming up between Nancy's legs in the bathtub, the dragging across the ceiling, Freddy's shape materializing from the wall) are remade in this one.

The Blu-ray's A/V quality is great, and of course, it has much better effects than the original movies, although they did not go overboard with the CGI effects. As far as extras go, there are several behind-the-scenes and making-of featurettes, a couple of deleted scenes, and an alternate ending. There is also a commentary track and an in-movie mode where pop-ups will play throughout the movie at certain points. 

Like all remakes of classic movies, some are going to love this, and some will hate it. That is the nature of recreating a movie like Nightmare on Elm Street, which was one of the iconic 1980s horror movies that spawned 7 direct movies and a crossover with the Friday the 13th franchise, and more importantly, when recasting an iconic character like Freddy. If the whole idea of changing anything around from the original movies is like sacrilege to you, then don't even bother with this. If you can accept that there are changes to the story and the characters, then this, while not as good as the original movie, is still better than some of the cheesier sequels of the original movie and is worth the time to watch.

No comments: