Welcome

Welcome to my ever-evolving blog. It started out as a blog on Beachbody workouts and products, mainly when I was a Beachbody coach. I no longer coach, not because I don't believe in Beachbody's programs (I subscribe to Beachbody on Demand and use their workouts every day), I am just not a salesperson and hated that aspect of it. I am more than willing to answer questions about my experiences with their products and the various workouts, and I feel freer to do so without the appearance of giving a biased review of something.

I have also started adding reviews for various things I have purchased like movies, books, CDs, and other products. This was brought about by a fight with Amazon in which all of my reviews were removed over a completely bullshit allegation that I posted a review that violated their terms of service. After going back and forth with the morons in the community-reviews department (even after they admitted that my posts did not violate their guidelines) they restored my account (which took them six months to do), but I have been posting my reviews on my blog to have them preserved in case something like that happens again. And here, I will post uncensored reviews so I will swear from time to time and post reviews that may be longer than Amazon's character limit. Everything I post here on any topic or product is my personal opinion, and I take no compensation for any product reviews I post. I am a member of Amazon's vine program and because I get those products for free, I keep those reviews on Amazon only, but everything I have purchased with my own money, whether from Amazon or some other store/website/outlet, I will post here.  

I also plan to do some longer blog posts on various topics, such as how to learn physics, how to get through calculus, and longer reviews of workout programs as I do them. Basically, whatever strikes me as interesting at the time.  As you can see if you navigate around the blog, I had many years in between postings. During that time I was going back to school to get an engineering degree, and learning material that I avoided my first time through college was a different experience and one that gave me a lot of insight into how to do well in those classes, which I will try to impart here for those who are looking to get a science or engineering degree. 

Tuesday, September 19, 2023

App Review: Disney+

 


I have subscribed to Disney+ since its launch, mostly to watch the Star Wars and Marvel content, but I do, from time to time, watch some of the older movies that I watched as a kid. While the app is free to download, you do have to pay for a subscription, just like is the case with Netflix, Hulu, etc. It has a big chunk of the Disney catalog (with more being added pretty consistently) including many of the older movies and shows that people who are over 40 grew up with.

There are numerous ways to navigate around the content in the app, such as searching, browsing just TV shows, just movies, and by content (e.g. Star Wars, Marvel, National Geographic, etc.). You can also browse content by the decade of release. One great thing is that you do not have to pay extra for the material that is available in 4K. If you have a 4K television, you can play 4k content without having to upgrade your subscription ala Netflix. Another thing that is really nice is that you get bonus content, mostly for the newer movies, much like would be included with the physical DVD or Blu-ray discs which is sometimes missing when you opt just to stream material.

You also can set up multiple profiles so each person in the house can have their own watchlist, and get their own recommendations based on what is viewed under the profile. And, you can set any additional profiles (there is a pre-set main/default profile that cannot be altered aside from assigning it a name and icon) as a "kids" profile to limit what content can be watched under it. As I mentioned above, each profile can also be assigned an icon of pretty much any character from the shows/movies on the service.

I have not had any of the streaming issues or error messages that some are getting. I was able to download and sign in without a problem, although I did so pretty early on the morning launch day. Overall, you get a ton of content for your money, including movies that are harder to find on physical media because they have gone out of print. It is a great value, especially if you signed up for the three-year deal that was offered a few months, or if you already have Hulu (you can basically pay a dollar per month more (if you subscribe to commercial-free Hulu) to bundle Hulu, Disney+, and ESPN+.

One thing to note is that after you sign in, it will require you to verify your email address, basically by emailing you a code that you then enter into the app. Although, the system does not make this very obvious because there is no box that pops up instructing you to verify your email. What happens is, on the menu (which is on a sidebar) there is a settings icon (a gear icon), that will have an exclamation point over it. When you click into the settings you will then see that you have to verify your email, then it will send the code. I am not sure what will happen if you do not verify or how much time you have to do so. Most likely it will kick you out after a while, but it is ultimately a very easy process. I definitely recommend it.

No comments: