Welcome

Welcome to my ever-evolving blog. It started out as a blog on Beachbody workouts and products, mainly when I was a Beachbody coach. I no longer coach, not because I don't believe in Beachbody's programs (I subscribe to Beachbody on Demand and use their workouts every day), I am just not a salesperson and hated that aspect of it. I am more than willing to answer questions about my experiences with their products and the various workouts, and I feel freer to do so without the appearance of giving a biased review of something.

I have also started adding reviews for various things I have purchased like movies, books, CDs, and other products. This was brought about by a fight with Amazon in which all of my reviews were removed over a completely bullshit allegation that I posted a review that violated their terms of service. After going back and forth with the morons in the community-reviews department (even after they admitted that my posts did not violate their guidelines) they restored my account (which took them six months to do), but I have been posting my reviews on my blog to have them preserved in case something like that happens again. And here, I will post uncensored reviews so I will swear from time to time and post reviews that may be longer than Amazon's character limit. Everything I post here on any topic or product is my personal opinion, and I take no compensation for any product reviews I post. I am a member of Amazon's vine program and because I get those products for free, I keep those reviews on Amazon only, but everything I have purchased with my own money, whether from Amazon or some other store/website/outlet, I will post here.  

I also plan to do some longer blog posts on various topics, such as how to learn physics, how to get through calculus, and longer reviews of workout programs as I do them. Basically, whatever strikes me as interesting at the time.  As you can see if you navigate around the blog, I had many years in between postings. During that time I was going back to school to get an engineering degree, and learning material that I avoided my first time through college was a different experience and one that gave me a lot of insight into how to do well in those classes, which I will try to impart here for those who are looking to get a science or engineering degree. 

Wednesday, August 3, 2022

DVD/TV Series Review: Northern Exposure: Season 4

 


The fourth season, for me, is when the show started to go a bit downhill. This is due in large part to the fact that Rob Morrow's contract dispute saw his character seeing less and less screen time and thus, removing a large part (Joel's fish-out-of-water and acclamation story) of what made the show great in the first couple of seasons. Season three did continue the Joel and Maggie love-hate relationship, and introduced a new potential love interest for Maggie in the form of Anthony Edwards, who played Mike Monroe, an environmental lawyer who is allergic to everything and lives in a hermetically sealed bubble in the middle of the woods. Edwards would end up leaving toward the end of the season after he landed the series lead on ER so his storyline kind of fizzles out. The season continues to be a story-of-the-week procedural, with each episode focusing on a different character's storyline. Pretty much every character gets a significant story arc for at least one episode, including Ruth Anne, who attempts to learn to drive, an episode in which Chris loses his voice, and an episode in which Maurice is modeled for a wax sculpture. Shelly also gets a considerable storyline this season when she becomes pregnant in a story arc that continues on into season five (if you read through some of the other reviews, it is not that confusing that she does not have the baby during this season).

If you get the DVD set, the extras, much as with the prior seasons, include deleted scenes and gag reels. The one plus is that there are no more double-sided discs, at least on the set I have. The issue of the music is a big sticking point for the US releases. Again, Universal replaced some, but not all, of the original music with canned instrumental tracks so they did not have to pay for the rights to some of the songs that were used in the show. Of course, the show aired in the early to mid-1990s and the DVDs were released in the 2000s, so the rights to use the music likely had to be renegotiated when the DVDs were released. This resulted in some songs being ditched if they were too expensive, which did detract a bit from the storylines as there are times when the specific song choice was made because it tied into the story in the show. That is not to say they are unwatchable with the replacement music (at least not for me), but they are different if you see the show as it originally aired.

Overall, the season is good, but as I said before, not as good as in the earlier seasons. You can definitely tell that Rob Morrow is in fewer scenes, especially as the season goes along, and the show is just not the same with Joel as a more ancillary character. That said, all of the actors really step up and brought great performances this season and their contributions should not be overlooked. The show continued to have very good, although sometimes quirky and silly, and raised topics like homosexuality, and climate change (yes, it was a known thing even back in the 90s), long before any other network television show was. And, it is still one of the only shows I can remember (along with another 90s series Due South) that extensively used Native American actors and incorporated Native American culture. So, even though it was not as good as the first couple of seasons, I do think it is worth watching.

No comments: