Welcome

Welcome to my ever-evolving blog. It started out as a blog on Beachbody workouts and products, mainly when I was a Beachbody coach. I no longer coach, not because I don't believe in Beachbody's programs (I subscribe to Beachbody on Demand and use their workouts every day), I am just not a salesperson and hated that aspect of it. I am more than willing to answer questions about my experiences with their products and the various workouts, and I feel freer to do so without the appearance of giving a biased review of something.

I have also started adding reviews for various things I have purchased like movies, books, CDs, and other products. This was brought about by a fight with Amazon in which all of my reviews were removed over a completely bullshit allegation that I posted a review that violated their terms of service. After going back and forth with the morons in the community-reviews department (even after they admitted that my posts did not violate their guidelines) they restored my account (which took them six months to do), but I have been posting my reviews on my blog to have them preserved in case something like that happens again. And here, I will post uncensored reviews so I will swear from time to time and post reviews that may be longer than Amazon's character limit. Everything I post here on any topic or product is my personal opinion, and I take no compensation for any product reviews I post. I am a member of Amazon's vine program and because I get those products for free, I keep those reviews on Amazon only, but everything I have purchased with my own money, whether from Amazon or some other store/website/outlet, I will post here.  

I also plan to do some longer blog posts on various topics, such as how to learn physics, how to get through calculus, and longer reviews of workout programs as I do them. Basically, whatever strikes me as interesting at the time.  As you can see if you navigate around the blog, I had many years in between postings. During that time I was going back to school to get an engineering degree, and learning material that I avoided my first time through college was a different experience and one that gave me a lot of insight into how to do well in those classes, which I will try to impart here for those who are looking to get a science or engineering degree. 

Wednesday, August 3, 2022

DVD/TV Series Review: Community: Season 5

 


Season five saw a lot more turnover, both behind the scenes and on camera for the show. Behind the scenes, series creator Dan Harmon returned after being fired, and the resulting mess of a fourth season. The show also saw the departure of Chevy Chase (who appeared as a hologram in the first episode and then was written out from there) and Donald Glover, who appeared on just a handful of episodes. The show was a blend of what it was in the first couple of seasons and what it had become. The zany, offbeat, episodes still occurred, including one where the cast were turned into animated characters and brought into a 1980s G.I. Joe episode (that included many of the original voice actors from the cartoon), a hot lava episode that was another school-wide competition, and another Dungeons and Dragons themed episode. But, it also did return somewhat to a focus on the school aspect and had people actually taking classes, and Jeff, who had graduated the year before, taking up teaching. It also brought back John Oliver as Professor Duncan for a few episodes (who was great in seasons one and two when he appeared) and brought in Jonathan Banks (from Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul) as a criminology professor.

For those who get the DVD set, the extras include commentary tracks on every episode, a forty-minute feature on the writing process, a seventeen-minute feature on the G.I. Joe episode, and a short gag reel. So, a lot of good content for those who like the bonus material.

Overall, the show returns to its quality form over the dud that was season four. While I would have liked it to go even more in the direction of being in actual classes and then the study group, the show does balance the wackiness that has become a hallmark with things that do not require a ton of suspension of disbelief. Losing Glover, and even to some extent Chase, was a blow, but there are a lot of good guest stars this season that helped make up for that including LeVar Burton, Padget Brewster, David Cross, Ben Folds, Gina Gershon, Vince Gilligan, Walton Goggins, B.J. Novak, and Robert Patrick, among others. So, if you have hung with the show, even if you did not like the fourth season as much, this is a good rebound season, even if it is a bit short.

No comments: