Welcome

Welcome to my ever-evolving blog. It started out as a blog on Beachbody workouts and products, mainly when I was a Beachbody coach. I no longer coach, not because I don't believe in Beachbody's programs (I subscribe to Beachbody on Demand and use their workouts every day), I am just not a salesperson and hated that aspect of it. I am more than willing to answer questions about my experiences with their products and the various workouts, and I feel freer to do so without the appearance of giving a biased review of something.

I have also started adding reviews for various things I have purchased like movies, books, CDs, and other products. This was brought about by a fight with Amazon in which all of my reviews were removed over a completely bullshit allegation that I posted a review that violated their terms of service. After going back and forth with the morons in the community-reviews department (even after they admitted that my posts did not violate their guidelines) they restored my account (which took them six months to do), but I have been posting my reviews on my blog to have them preserved in case something like that happens again. And here, I will post uncensored reviews so I will swear from time to time and post reviews that may be longer than Amazon's character limit. Everything I post here on any topic or product is my personal opinion, and I take no compensation for any product reviews I post. I am a member of Amazon's vine program and because I get those products for free, I keep those reviews on Amazon only, but everything I have purchased with my own money, whether from Amazon or some other store/website/outlet, I will post here.  

I also plan to do some longer blog posts on various topics, such as how to learn physics, how to get through calculus, and longer reviews of workout programs as I do them. Basically, whatever strikes me as interesting at the time.  As you can see if you navigate around the blog, I had many years in between postings. During that time I was going back to school to get an engineering degree, and learning material that I avoided my first time through college was a different experience and one that gave me a lot of insight into how to do well in those classes, which I will try to impart here for those who are looking to get a science or engineering degree. 

Friday, September 6, 2024

DVD/TV Series Review: Smallville Season 5

 


The 22-episode fifth season of Smallville aired during the 2005/2006 TV season. This season was a turning point for the show. Of course, the "kids" graduated high school at the end of season four, so this season really saw the transition to more adult storylines. There was more cast turnover with Jensen Ackles leaving for the show Supernatural and Erica Durance coming on as a series regular, playing Lois Lane, and James Marsters (best known for his role as Spike on Buffy and Angel) joining as the major recurring character of the season. Ackles' character was ignored in the season premiere, with the audience just leaving to assume he died in the meteor strike.

The show pays off on the prior season's storyline, showing the Fortress of Solitude payoff to the whole story of the cave and the key from Clark's ship, continues to work toward Smallville's version of the Justice League, with Aquaman making an appearance this season, and sets up the next major "big bad". And, of course, this is the season that Chole finally knows about Clark, although she is not the only person who has discovered Clark's secret. This season also sees the first major cast member departing and being written off (the second if you really considered Pete Ross to be a major character, I personally viewed the character as more of a high-school buddy/ sidekick of Clark as opposed to a major character). The 12th episode of the season also marked the show's 100th episode, and it marked a major turning point for the season and the series.

The DVD set is a six-disc set with the bonus features and episodes spread across the discs. The extras include deleted scenes for most episodes, commentary tracks on a couple of episodes, including the much-panned (even by the showrunners) "vampire" themed episode, and a thirty-minute behind-the-scenes feature on making the 100th episode. A decent amount of extras for those who like watching them.

Overall, the season is very good. There are some great and not-so-great episodes (see the aforementioned vampire-themed episode). Apparently, the network wanted the show to do more themed episodes during the season, and the vampire episode was one and pretty much a dud, while the Chrismas episode, which did a version of It's a Wonderful Life for Lex, was great. I would say that chances are if you enjoyed the prior seasons, you will likely enjoy this one. If you did not like the prior seasons, you may or may not like this one. It just depends on what you did not like about the prior seasons. If you were not a big fan of the "freak of the week" episodes from the first few seasons, those took a big step back this season. The show was much more about the large, intertwined story arcs. If however, you were not a fan of the main characters, then you will still probably not like the show this season.

No comments: