Welcome

Welcome to my ever-evolving blog. It started out as a blog on Beachbody workouts and products, mainly when I was a Beachbody coach. I no longer coach, not because I don't believe in Beachbody's programs (I subscribe to Beachbody on Demand and use their workouts every day), I am just not a salesperson and hated that aspect of it. I am more than willing to answer questions about my experiences with their products and the various workouts, and I feel freer to do so without the appearance of giving a biased review of something.

I have also started adding reviews for various things I have purchased like movies, books, CDs, and other products. This was brought about by a fight with Amazon in which all of my reviews were removed over a completely bullshit allegation that I posted a review that violated their terms of service. After going back and forth with the morons in the community-reviews department (even after they admitted that my posts did not violate their guidelines) they restored my account (which took them six months to do), but I have been posting my reviews on my blog to have them preserved in case something like that happens again. And here, I will post uncensored reviews so I will swear from time to time and post reviews that may be longer than Amazon's character limit. Everything I post here on any topic or product is my personal opinion, and I take no compensation for any product reviews I post. I am a member of Amazon's vine program and because I get those products for free, I keep those reviews on Amazon only, but everything I have purchased with my own money, whether from Amazon or some other store/website/outlet, I will post here.  

I also plan to do some longer blog posts on various topics, such as how to learn physics, how to get through calculus, and longer reviews of workout programs as I do them. Basically, whatever strikes me as interesting at the time.  As you can see if you navigate around the blog, I had many years in between postings. During that time I was going back to school to get an engineering degree, and learning material that I avoided my first time through college was a different experience and one that gave me a lot of insight into how to do well in those classes, which I will try to impart here for those who are looking to get a science or engineering degree. 

Wednesday, September 4, 2024

Blu-Ray/TV Series Review: Bones: Season 8

 


The 24-episode 8th season of Bones aired during the 2012/2013 TV season. It picks up down the line from the events that ended the seventh season, with Brennan on the run and the main antagonist, Pelant (played by Andrew Leeds) in custody but still making trouble for the team. The cliffhanger that ended season 7 is  resolved quickly in Season 8 so Brennan can come back to the team. Pelant, however, keeps coming back throughout the season to make the lives of the team hell. The show continues blending case-of-the-week procedural stories with the longer story arcs. This season also includes some episodes that were intended to air during season 7, but were cut due to the reduced number of episodes that resulted from Emily Deschanel's pregnancy. All the main cast members and primary recurring cast members return for this season. New recurring cast members this season include Danielle Panabaker (who would go on to star in the series Flash), Joanna Cassidy, Scott Lowell, and Danny Woodburn.

The show has kept the rotating interns that stemmed from the one story line from the show whose outcome I did not like, and that was having Zach written off the show. The show does a good job of actually giving them more to do that just being Brennan's sidekicks and it seems like the show is going to stick with that format for the foreseeable future. Aside from the stretches that the show makes with reality which you either accept or not, the only thing that was completely unrealistic from this season was about Hodgins money. You have to suspend your disbelief for what happens initially, but I personally think the directon the show takes the aftermath is just dumb. The rest of the season really revolves around Booth and Brennan as a couple, and as parents. I think that part of the story is well written and has done a good job of not making the relationship stale which is always the danger in bringing lead characters into a relationship.

The Blu-Ray set is a five-disc set with the episodes and bonus features spread across the five discs. The extras include deleted scenes, commentary on some episodes, an "Ask Bones" feature where cast members answer questions submitted by fans, a short ultimate fan segment, and a gag reel. Not a ton of extras but enough there if you do like going through that material. Also, the blu rays allow you to play it in season mode, so you can stop at any point and pick back up where you left off.

Chances are by now you know how you feel about Bones. If you have liked the show up to this point you will likely still enjoy this season. If you don't like it, this season will not do anything to change your mind because it really follows the same formula as it has the past few years. I think the stories are still compelling and interesting enough to keep the show fun to watch. It does a good job of blending the case of the week stories with the ongoing story arcs.

No comments: