Welcome

Welcome to my ever-evolving blog. It started out as a blog on Beachbody workouts and products, mainly when I was a Beachbody coach. I no longer coach, not because I don't believe in Beachbody's programs (I subscribe to Beachbody on Demand and use their workouts every day), I am just not a salesperson and hated that aspect of it. I am more than willing to answer questions about my experiences with their products and the various workouts, and I feel freer to do so without the appearance of giving a biased review of something.

I have also started adding reviews for various things I have purchased like movies, books, CDs, and other products. This was brought about by a fight with Amazon in which all of my reviews were removed over a completely bullshit allegation that I posted a review that violated their terms of service. After going back and forth with the morons in the community-reviews department (even after they admitted that my posts did not violate their guidelines) they restored my account (which took them six months to do), but I have been posting my reviews on my blog to have them preserved in case something like that happens again. And here, I will post uncensored reviews so I will swear from time to time and post reviews that may be longer than Amazon's character limit. Everything I post here on any topic or product is my personal opinion, and I take no compensation for any product reviews I post. I am a member of Amazon's vine program and because I get those products for free, I keep those reviews on Amazon only, but everything I have purchased with my own money, whether from Amazon or some other store/website/outlet, I will post here.  

I also plan to do some longer blog posts on various topics, such as how to learn physics, how to get through calculus, and longer reviews of workout programs as I do them. Basically, whatever strikes me as interesting at the time.  As you can see if you navigate around the blog, I had many years in between postings. During that time I was going back to school to get an engineering degree, and learning material that I avoided my first time through college was a different experience and one that gave me a lot of insight into how to do well in those classes, which I will try to impart here for those who are looking to get a science or engineering degree. 

Wednesday, September 4, 2024

DVD/TV Series Review: Smallville Season 4

 


The 22-episode fourth season of Smallville aired during the 2004/2005 TV season. It begins months after the ending of season three when Lionel (seemingly) executed a Godfather-Like plan to get revenge on everyone who put him in jail. The season starts with Clark still missing, Lex going after an ancient stone (which becomes increasingly important throughout the season), Lana in China with a new love interest (played by new series regular Jensen Ackles), and Chole presumed dead. Of course, Clark returns in the first episode, but as Kal-El and meets the newly arrived Lois Lane (played by Erica Durance) who was teased in season three, who ends up coming to Smallville to investigate Chole's death.

The season continues to interweave the story of the week episodes within the larger themes of the season, mainly being the story involving three stones with Kryptonian symbols on them. The series continues to get a strong lineup of guest stars including Michael Ironside, Eric Johnson (reprising his role as Whitney in a flashback), Peyton List, Cobie Smulders, Jane Seymour (who has a major recurring role), Sarah Carter (reprising her role as a powered love interest for Clark, and Chris Carmack who guest-starred in an episode which to sharp-eyed observers from MN used the Twin Cities skyline as a backdrop. The show also brought in Margot Kidder, who of course played Lois in the movies, for appearances in a couple of episodes. Her appearance in the first episode was supposed to be done by Christopher Reeve, who had a scheduling conflict during filming and then passed away early into the airing of the season. His death was written into one of the episodes with the character of Virgil Swann dying off-screen leaving a last message for Clark. And, for early 2000s music fans, the band Lifehouse, whose songs appeared more than once on the show, played the senior prom.

The DVD set is a six-disc set. The extras included for this season's release are similar to what was on the DVD sets for the first few seasons. There are commentary tracks on select episodes, deleted scenes for most episodes, a feature on Lois Lane, which included all the living actresses who had played Lois, except for Teri Hatcher, and a feature on the writers of the show and the process they go through to write an episode. A good amount for those who like to go through the extras.

Overall, the series continued to be very strong, weaving in elements of the Superman Mythos, yet keeping its own spin on things. Characters advanced, especially Lex and Chole, and the show managed to weave in a decent amount of humor (mostly in the Lois-Clark interactions). The show also moved away from the high school element with really only a few episodes really focused on the school at all. The show also got around the loose "no tights, no flights" rule again, this time more creatively than the first couple of times. Clark's secret was also discovered by more people, some who conveniently forgot others who unknown to Clark do not. There was a great Lex centric episode that really displayed Michael Rosenbaum's acting chops, and Allison Mack continued to shine as Chole all throughout the season (again making her post-Smallville life even more sad because she should have been able to use her role on the show to springboard to much more). The finale sets up the next season's "big-bad" and again leaves characters in some Jeopardy. Overall, if you were a fan of the first few seasons, this one is definitely worth checking out.

No comments: