Welcome

Welcome to my ever-evolving blog. It started out as a blog on Beachbody workouts and products, mainly when I was a Beachbody coach. I no longer coach, not because I don't believe in Beachbody's programs (I subscribe to Beachbody on Demand and use their workouts every day), I am just not a salesperson and hated that aspect of it. I am more than willing to answer questions about my experiences with their products and the various workouts, and I feel freer to do so without the appearance of giving a biased review of something.

I have also started adding reviews for various things I have purchased like movies, books, CDs, and other products. This was brought about by a fight with Amazon in which all of my reviews were removed over a completely bullshit allegation that I posted a review that violated their terms of service. After going back and forth with the morons in the community-reviews department (even after they admitted that my posts did not violate their guidelines) they restored my account (which took them six months to do), but I have been posting my reviews on my blog to have them preserved in case something like that happens again. And here, I will post uncensored reviews so I will swear from time to time and post reviews that may be longer than Amazon's character limit. Everything I post here on any topic or product is my personal opinion, and I take no compensation for any product reviews I post. I am a member of Amazon's vine program and because I get those products for free, I keep those reviews on Amazon only, but everything I have purchased with my own money, whether from Amazon or some other store/website/outlet, I will post here.  

I also plan to do some longer blog posts on various topics, such as how to learn physics, how to get through calculus, and longer reviews of workout programs as I do them. Basically, whatever strikes me as interesting at the time.  As you can see if you navigate around the blog, I had many years in between postings. During that time I was going back to school to get an engineering degree, and learning material that I avoided my first time through college was a different experience and one that gave me a lot of insight into how to do well in those classes, which I will try to impart here for those who are looking to get a science or engineering degree. 

Tuesday, February 14, 2023

Book Review: Star Wars

 


This is the novelization of the original Star Wars (before it was subtitled A New Hope) based on George Lucas' original screenplay. The story is almost exactly what you see in the movie, however, some of the dialogue is changed from what ended up on the screen (sometimes for the worse, meaning what ended up in the finished movie was better). Therefore, the story still has some of the issues that the original movie had, namely the story being a bit clunky and some of the character dialogue being pretty stupid (prompting the famous line by Harrison Ford to Lucas, "you can write this shit but you can't say it").

The book was re-released as a hardcover novel just before the special editions of the original trilogy and the prequel trilogy were released, and there is a forward written by George Lucas that discusses the original story and gives some hints about where he intended to go with the prequels. The book is short (under 300 pages) and is a quick read. Technically, the novels are not canon, just the movies, but that really is not a big issue in this case. While I would not say the book is a must-read, it is an interesting one, basically because it allows you to see the very early version of the story as compared to how it has been tweaked over the years. It definitely seems that Lucas' claim that he had the entire story mapped out from the beginning was complete bullshit and that he added major elements to the story after the original movie was a hit and he knew he could continue on with it.  



No comments: