Welcome

Welcome to my ever-evolving blog. It started out as a blog on Beachbody workouts and products, mainly when I was a Beachbody coach. I no longer coach, not because I don't believe in Beachbody's programs (I subscribe to Beachbody on Demand and use their workouts every day), I am just not a salesperson and hated that aspect of it. I am more than willing to answer questions about my experiences with their products and the various workouts, and I feel freer to do so without the appearance of giving a biased review of something.

I have also started adding reviews for various things I have purchased like movies, books, CDs, and other products. This was brought about by a fight with Amazon in which all of my reviews were removed over a completely bullshit allegation that I posted a review that violated their terms of service. After going back and forth with the morons in the community-reviews department (even after they admitted that my posts did not violate their guidelines) they restored my account (which took them six months to do), but I have been posting my reviews on my blog to have them preserved in case something like that happens again. And here, I will post uncensored reviews so I will swear from time to time and post reviews that may be longer than Amazon's character limit. Everything I post here on any topic or product is my personal opinion, and I take no compensation for any product reviews I post. I am a member of Amazon's vine program and because I get those products for free, I keep those reviews on Amazon only, but everything I have purchased with my own money, whether from Amazon or some other store/website/outlet, I will post here.  

I also plan to do some longer blog posts on various topics, such as how to learn physics, how to get through calculus, and longer reviews of workout programs as I do them. Basically, whatever strikes me as interesting at the time.  As you can see if you navigate around the blog, I had many years in between postings. During that time I was going back to school to get an engineering degree, and learning material that I avoided my first time through college was a different experience and one that gave me a lot of insight into how to do well in those classes, which I will try to impart here for those who are looking to get a science or engineering degree. 

Tuesday, October 12, 2021

Workout Update: Power-90 Master's Series Day 1

 Day one of the Master's series was the cardio 5-6 workout. It is similar to and different from the 1-2 and 3-4 workouts in the base program. It starts out with a warmup that includes running in place, jumping jacks, and then doing a dynamic kicking and swinging your arms (what Tony calls dynamic stretching in p90x). Then you do some static stretching and a couple of asanas from yoga. It is definitely not as much yoga as the 1-2 and 3-4 workouts had. Then you get into the main workout. That has three blocks of exercise. Each exercise lasts 30 seconds. You do all three exercises, then repeat twice. Then you have a short water break and move on to the next block with three new exercises that you repeat three times. The moves include some exercises that are on the p90x plyometrics workout, some stuff from the Kenpo workout, and some stuff from cardio-x. There is not a lot of jumping in this one, but there is a bit more impact than there was in the base Power-90 workouts. These workouts are meant to be a bridge from the base Power-90 workouts to p90x, so it stands to reason that the difficulty level is somewhere between the two programs. You can definitely tell they had started on p90x when filming the Master's Series workouts because the p90x promotional posters are hanging on the wall behind them. 

Overall, this is a pretty typical Tony Horton workout (cheesy jokes and all). If you have done p90x before a lot of what you see in this workout is familiar. If not, you will definitely see the moves again if you decide to do p90x. You can do some modification of the moves and slow things down if you need to, or you can try to keep up with what the people in the video are doing. This was filmed before the days when they had a dedicated modifier in every workout doing on modified moves, but Tony does tell you how to modify if you need to. Overall, it was a good workout and a good start to day 1 of the Master's Series.

No comments: