Welcome

Welcome to my ever-evolving blog. It started out as a blog on Beachbody workouts and products, mainly when I was a Beachbody coach. I no longer coach, not because I don't believe in Beachbody's programs (I subscribe to Beachbody on Demand and use their workouts every day), I am just not a salesperson and hated that aspect of it. I am more than willing to answer questions about my experiences with their products and the various workouts, and I feel freer to do so without the appearance of giving a biased review of something.

I have also started adding reviews for various things I have purchased like movies, books, CDs, and other products. This was brought about by a fight with Amazon in which all of my reviews were removed over a completely bullshit allegation that I posted a review that violated their terms of service. After going back and forth with the morons in the community-reviews department (even after they admitted that my posts did not violate their guidelines) they restored my account (which took them six months to do), but I have been posting my reviews on my blog to have them preserved in case something like that happens again. And here, I will post uncensored reviews so I will swear from time to time and post reviews that may be longer than Amazon's character limit. Everything I post here on any topic or product is my personal opinion, and I take no compensation for any product reviews I post. I am a member of Amazon's vine program and because I get those products for free, I keep those reviews on Amazon only, but everything I have purchased with my own money, whether from Amazon or some other store/website/outlet, I will post here.  

I also plan to do some longer blog posts on various topics, such as how to learn physics, how to get through calculus, and longer reviews of workout programs as I do them. Basically, whatever strikes me as interesting at the time.  As you can see if you navigate around the blog, I had many years in between postings. During that time I was going back to school to get an engineering degree, and learning material that I avoided my first time through college was a different experience and one that gave me a lot of insight into how to do well in those classes, which I will try to impart here for those who are looking to get a science or engineering degree. 

Sunday, October 24, 2021

4kUHD Blu-Ray/Movie Review: Close Encounters of the Third Kind 40th Anniversary Edition

 




Close Encounters of the Third Kind is the "other" late 1970s movie directed by Steven Spielberg, the other, of course being Jaws. This movie was actually Spielberg's passion project that he wanted to make before Jaws, but he was able to get Jaws financed first, which then allowed him to make this movie. Close Encounters is a movie about aliens, essentially dramatizing all the alien abduction and alien encounters that people alleged to have had back in the days before we were all walking around with cameras. And, it partly plays off distrust of the government after Watergate by involving a government cover-up. The movie is basically told from a couple different perspectives. That of government agents who are discovering strange occurrences throughout the world (like finding planes that had been missing since the 1940s mysteriously reappearing) and then those of normal people who have encounters with the alien ships. 

 

The film stars Richard Dreyfuss as Roy Neary, an electrical worker who has one of the encounters with the ships while he is out trying to deal with power outages caused by the alien ships. He then becomes obsessed with trying to find the aliens, leading him to try to get to Devil's Tower in Wyoming. The rest of the cast includes Bob Balaban (who also starred in 2010 a few years later), Teri Garr, Melinda Dillon, and Cary Guffey.  Dillon plays Guffey's mother who also has an encounter with the aliens and joins up with Roy to get to Devil's Tower. 

 

For those who get the 4k UHD set, there are actually three discs. The UHD disc has three different versions of the movie, the theatrical cut, an enhanced version that upgrades the special effects and makes some minor edits that Spielberg would have liked to do had he not been under a time crunch to finish the movie. Then there is a director's cut, which is basically a different version of the enhanced version taking out a scene that the studio wanted to add when they agreed to make the enhanced version that Spielberg did not think should be included. Each of the cuts are around the same length and tells the same story. Neither the enhanced cut or the director's cut alters the story in any significant way. The UHD disc also allows you to play the other editions in a "View From Above" mode that provides details about the differences between the theatrical version of the movie and the version you are currently watching.

 

Then, there are two regular Blu-Ray discs. One that has the movies and one that has the extras. There are well over two hours’ worth of extras, some of which were made sometime around 2016-2017 for the 40th anniversary of the movie, and others that were the original behind-the-scenes material shot around the time the movie was released. There are also deleted scenes, storyboard comparisons, a stills gallery, and the theatrical trailer. So, if you like going through extras, the physical discs are a good pickup. The A/V quality of the UHD disc is good, but I would not say I was blown away by the restoration. It does look a lot better than the standard definition footage shown in the extras, but the UHD format does, especially in the theatrical edition, highlight the limitations of 1977 special effects. 

 

Overall, the movie is good to very good. It is definitely a bit dated, and parts of it do not hold up all that well. You can definitely tell it was made in the late 1970s and has the look and feel of that period. Interestingly, in some of the newer bonus material, Spielberg said that he would not make the movie the same way today as he did back then, because of how his perspective changed as he got older. That said, it is definitely worth checking out.  


No comments: