Welcome

Welcome to my ever-evolving blog. It started out as a blog on Beachbody workouts and products, mainly when I was a Beachbody coach. I no longer coach, not because I don't believe in Beachbody's programs (I subscribe to Beachbody on Demand and use their workouts every day), I am just not a salesperson and hated that aspect of it. I am more than willing to answer questions about my experiences with their products and the various workouts, and I feel freer to do so without the appearance of giving a biased review of something.

I have also started adding reviews for various things I have purchased like movies, books, CDs, and other products. This was brought about by a fight with Amazon in which all of my reviews were removed over a completely bullshit allegation that I posted a review that violated their terms of service. After going back and forth with the morons in the community-reviews department (even after they admitted that my posts did not violate their guidelines) they restored my account (which took them six months to do), but I have been posting my reviews on my blog to have them preserved in case something like that happens again. And here, I will post uncensored reviews so I will swear from time to time and post reviews that may be longer than Amazon's character limit. Everything I post here on any topic or product is my personal opinion, and I take no compensation for any product reviews I post. I am a member of Amazon's vine program and because I get those products for free, I keep those reviews on Amazon only, but everything I have purchased with my own money, whether from Amazon or some other store/website/outlet, I will post here.  

I also plan to do some longer blog posts on various topics, such as how to learn physics, how to get through calculus, and longer reviews of workout programs as I do them. Basically, whatever strikes me as interesting at the time.  As you can see if you navigate around the blog, I had many years in between postings. During that time I was going back to school to get an engineering degree, and learning material that I avoided my first time through college was a different experience and one that gave me a lot of insight into how to do well in those classes, which I will try to impart here for those who are looking to get a science or engineering degree. 

Sunday, June 6, 2021

Product Review: The Advanced Calculus 2 Tutor, 14 hour video course


I found the Math Tutor DVD sets when I was in the process of returning to school about a decade ago to get an electrical engineering degree. I had to start over in math, a subject that I was horrible at when I was in college the first time around and was looking for study aids to help me get through the classes. Calculus II is very hard and very involved, especially if you get a very difficult teacher. Jason does a great job at breaking down the problems and walking you through, step-by-step, how to solve them. There is some overlap between what is on this DVD and what is in Jasons Calc I and II tutor. That is mostly the very basic material, however. Also, some of the integration techniques you will need to know if you take a Calculus II class in college is on that DVD set. Different schools will present the "first-year" calculus curriculum in a different order. In my calc I class we got to anti-differentiation/integration at the very end, then in Calc II picked up with applications of integration like area and volume (which is on this set) and then went into techniques of integration (like u-substitution, partial fractions, trig substitution, trig integration, etc), some of which is on this set and some on the previous DVD. So you really want to get both of those to catch everything.

This DVD set is a complement to, not a substitute for going to class and doing homework. For two reasons. First, as Jason states upfront, he does not cover everything you will be exposed to in class. He hits the areas that he feels are the most important. Second, Jason is not picking test and homework problems, and the only way to get an idea of what your instructor is going to focus heavily on is to go. For example, when Jason teaches improper integrals, he takes what I would describe as a less formal approach which will give you the correct answer, but omits some steps that the book (and possibly your teacher) will show. The technical way to do the problems however is the convert the problem to a limit introducing another variable like t and plugging that in as one of the limits of integration. If your teacher is a stickler for the "formal" approach you may get points taken off for omitting that step. An example of something you will spend some time on in class that Jason does not cover here is approximate integration which involves different rules for getting a decimal approximation. In my class, we also spent a chapter on differential equations, getting an introduction to them and how to approach solving some of the more basic types of differential equations.

If you learn all the material on this DVD set well, you will have about 75-85% of what you will need for the final exam. These are great to look over before you start class to get an idea of what you will be doing in class and during the semester if you don't fully understand a concept from the lecture or how the book explains it. They are also great to use as a final review (if you have time) when studying for a final exam. Jason selects problems as examples that range in difficulty level but are usually not as difficult as the hardest problems in the book (usually the even-numbered problems from the end of the problem sets). The examples you get here are most likely the types of problems you will see on a quiz or exam because they generally do not take a lot of time to solve, whereas some of the homework problems you may come across could be the one and only exam problem (if your teacher really wanted to be mean) because it would take the entire time to solve it. Therefore, if your learning style is conducive to learning from taking notes off a DVD presentation, this will be a great investment.

No comments: