Welcome

Welcome to my ever-evolving blog. It started out as a blog on Beachbody workouts and products, mainly when I was a Beachbody coach. I no longer coach, not because I don't believe in Beachbody's programs (I subscribe to Beachbody on Demand and use their workouts every day), I am just not a salesperson and hated that aspect of it. I am more than willing to answer questions about my experiences with their products and the various workouts, and I feel freer to do so without the appearance of giving a biased review of something.

I have also started adding reviews for various things I have purchased like movies, books, CDs, and other products. This was brought about by a fight with Amazon in which all of my reviews were removed over a completely bullshit allegation that I posted a review that violated their terms of service. After going back and forth with the morons in the community-reviews department (even after they admitted that my posts did not violate their guidelines) they restored my account (which took them six months to do), but I have been posting my reviews on my blog to have them preserved in case something like that happens again. And here, I will post uncensored reviews so I will swear from time to time and post reviews that may be longer than Amazon's character limit. Everything I post here on any topic or product is my personal opinion, and I take no compensation for any product reviews I post. I am a member of Amazon's vine program and because I get those products for free, I keep those reviews on Amazon only, but everything I have purchased with my own money, whether from Amazon or some other store/website/outlet, I will post here.  

I also plan to do some longer blog posts on various topics, such as how to learn physics, how to get through calculus, and longer reviews of workout programs as I do them. Basically, whatever strikes me as interesting at the time.  As you can see if you navigate around the blog, I had many years in between postings. During that time I was going back to school to get an engineering degree, and learning material that I avoided my first time through college was a different experience and one that gave me a lot of insight into how to do well in those classes, which I will try to impart here for those who are looking to get a science or engineering degree. 

Tuesday, November 1, 2022

Book Review: The Ground Truth: The Untold Story of America Under Attack on 9/11

 


This book most definitely is not a 9/11 truther conspiracy novel, written by a batshit crazy nutcase. It is a book by a member of the 9/11 Commission staff which excoriates the FBI, CIA, and various intelligence agencies for failing to stop the attacks before they had a chance to happen (despite many opportunities to do so), the Clinton and Bush administrations for not doing enough to go after Al Queda and/or ignoring how dangerous it had become, and the FAA and the military for their ineptness on the day itself. In the case of the last two, specifically, he details how members of the FAA and the military either did not know or outright lied about how events played out that day, showing either incompetence and ignorance or a desire to cover themselves to disguise their incompetence. For example, during the commission hearings, FAA officials made it seem like they informed the military well before they actually did, and the members of the military insisted that they had been tracking flight 93 and were minutes away from tracking it down had the passengers and crew not fought back to try and regain control of the plane causing the terrorists to crash it. In reality, the FAA contacted NEADS about six minutes before Flight 11 hit the north tower of the WTC, the military had no warning about Flight 175, and the FAA was not even sure that 175 was hijacked until it was a minute or two from hitting the south tower of the WTC, the FAA told the military about a plane headed toward the White House a few minutes before Flight 77 hit the Pentagon and did not tell the military about Flight 93 until after it had crashed. So, there was no way fighter jets were minutes away from taking Flight 93 down. 

The book reprints transcripts of the communications which, at the time of the 9/11 commission report's release, were classified, which showed how the reality of the day conflicted with what the commission was being told by witnesses. There is also a very detailed timeline of events involving the hijackers and other members of Al Queda that at least put them on the radar of various US agencies, and sent up huge red flags that were either missed or ignored. The key takeaway from the book is that there were plenty of opportunities to find out about the attacks and stop them before they happened had the "system" not failed time and again.

No comments: