Welcome

Welcome to my ever-evolving blog. It started out as a blog on Beachbody workouts and products, mainly when I was a Beachbody coach. I no longer coach, not because I don't believe in Beachbody's programs (I subscribe to Beachbody on Demand and use their workouts every day), I am just not a salesperson and hated that aspect of it. I am more than willing to answer questions about my experiences with their products and the various workouts, and I feel freer to do so without the appearance of giving a biased review of something.

I have also started adding reviews for various things I have purchased like movies, books, CDs, and other products. This was brought about by a fight with Amazon in which all of my reviews were removed over a completely bullshit allegation that I posted a review that violated their terms of service. After going back and forth with the morons in the community-reviews department (even after they admitted that my posts did not violate their guidelines) they restored my account (which took them six months to do), but I have been posting my reviews on my blog to have them preserved in case something like that happens again. And here, I will post uncensored reviews so I will swear from time to time and post reviews that may be longer than Amazon's character limit. Everything I post here on any topic or product is my personal opinion, and I take no compensation for any product reviews I post. I am a member of Amazon's vine program and because I get those products for free, I keep those reviews on Amazon only, but everything I have purchased with my own money, whether from Amazon or some other store/website/outlet, I will post here.  

I also plan to do some longer blog posts on various topics, such as how to learn physics, how to get through calculus, and longer reviews of workout programs as I do them. Basically, whatever strikes me as interesting at the time.  As you can see if you navigate around the blog, I had many years in between postings. During that time I was going back to school to get an engineering degree, and learning material that I avoided my first time through college was a different experience and one that gave me a lot of insight into how to do well in those classes, which I will try to impart here for those who are looking to get a science or engineering degree. 

Thursday, February 17, 2022

DVD Review: Halloween: The Curse of Michael Myers

 


Haloween Six, also called The Curse of Michael Myers, was really a mess of a movie. The mess, admittedly (by the producers) started with the production of the movie and carried through to the final product. It picks up years after the events of Halloween 5 in which Michael is broken out of jail and Jamie is kidnapped by the man in black. In this movie, we learn the identity of the man in black and find out that he is a larger part of a larger cult (essentially). The movie is pretty much non-sensical from beginning to end. The basic plot is that Jamie is pregnant (and it is very much hinted that Michael is somehow the father), has the baby, and escapes from the cult. Then, of course, Michael tries to track down the baby and in the process comes back to Haddonfield and wreaks havoc.

Really, the only thing that makes the movie worth watching is seeing Paul Rudd in one of his first major movie roles (this movie came out the same year as Clueless), as Tommy Doyle (the kid Laurie babysat in the original movie) who has become obsessed with Michael Meyers and seeing Donald Pleasance for the last time as Loomis. Everything else about the movie pretty much fell into the hot garbage category. Firstly, Danielle Harris, who was open to reprising her role as Jamie, hated what was done to the character so much she decided to not have anything to do with the movie. The plot was just stupid, and because the audience reception was so bad there were major reshoots done, including after Donald Pleasance died, that the character of Loomis was essentially written out offscreen.

This is just the theatrical cut of the movie. The disc does not include the producer's cut that was for years just available as a bootleg, but finally released in the Blu-ray box set a handful of years ago. I think the actors did the best they could with what they were given, which was not much, but Rudd and Pleasance did a really good job in their roles and basically kept the movie from being total garbage. I think if Jamie would have been incorporated better into the movie so that Danielle Harris would have come back, and they dispensed with the silly cult stuff, the movie would have been a lot better. That said, it is a very dark sequel, and it did have some good elements to it, just not enough (in my opinion).

If you get the original DVD release, you just basically get the movie itself. There are no extras (besides some coming soon trailers). Ultimately, the movie is not for everyone. Even for Halloween fans, it is not even close to being the best Halloween movie (or even the best sequel). So, I cannot say that even fans of the series are going to love it, but I still think it is worth watching as long as you temper your expectations.

No comments: