Welcome

Welcome to my ever-evolving blog. It started out as a blog on Beachbody workouts and products, mainly when I was a Beachbody coach. I no longer coach, not because I don't believe in Beachbody's programs (I subscribe to Beachbody on Demand and use their workouts every day), I am just not a salesperson and hated that aspect of it. I am more than willing to answer questions about my experiences with their products and the various workouts, and I feel freer to do so without the appearance of giving a biased review of something.

I have also started adding reviews for various things I have purchased like movies, books, CDs, and other products. This was brought about by a fight with Amazon in which all of my reviews were removed over a completely bullshit allegation that I posted a review that violated their terms of service. After going back and forth with the morons in the community-reviews department (even after they admitted that my posts did not violate their guidelines) they restored my account (which took them six months to do), but I have been posting my reviews on my blog to have them preserved in case something like that happens again. And here, I will post uncensored reviews so I will swear from time to time and post reviews that may be longer than Amazon's character limit. Everything I post here on any topic or product is my personal opinion, and I take no compensation for any product reviews I post. I am a member of Amazon's vine program and because I get those products for free, I keep those reviews on Amazon only, but everything I have purchased with my own money, whether from Amazon or some other store/website/outlet, I will post here.  

I also plan to do some longer blog posts on various topics, such as how to learn physics, how to get through calculus, and longer reviews of workout programs as I do them. Basically, whatever strikes me as interesting at the time.  As you can see if you navigate around the blog, I had many years in between postings. During that time I was going back to school to get an engineering degree, and learning material that I avoided my first time through college was a different experience and one that gave me a lot of insight into how to do well in those classes, which I will try to impart here for those who are looking to get a science or engineering degree. 

Tuesday, January 18, 2022

Blu Ray/TV Show Review: Northern Exposure Complete Series (Region 2)

 


Northern Exposure was a breakout hit that ran from 1990 to 1995. It starred Rob Morrow as Joel Fleischman, a doctor from New York who was forced to move to a small remote town in Alaska called Cicely to work as repayment of his student loan for the state of Alaska underwriting his medical school education. It is basically a fish-out-of-water story as Dr. Fleischman adjusts to life in a small town full of quirky people. 

The show ran for a total of six seasons (with seasons one and two being extremely short, a total of fifteen episodes between them) and then full seasons from season three onward. Morrow had a widely publicized contract dispute with the powers that be that saw his role reduced over the course of the series until he was written out of the show entirely partway through the final season, after which the show just fizzled out and was canceled. The supporting cast included Janine Turner, as Maggie O'Connel, Fleischman's on and off again love interest, Barry Corbin as Maurice Minnefiled, an ex-astronaut who basically owns the entire town of Cicely, John Cullum as Holling Vincoeur, the owner of the local bar, Cynthia Geary as Holling's much younger wife Shelly, John Corbett as Chris Stevens, the DJ at the local radio station, Darren E. Burrows, as Ed, one of the local teenagers who is an aspiring moviemaker, Peg Phillips as Ruth-Ann, the owner of the local convenience store, and Elane Miles as Marilyn, Dr. Fleischman's office assistant. 

As many are aware, the show was released on DVD in the US back in the mid-2000s. The big controversy about those releases was that, from season three on, Universal did not pay for the rights to some of the original music, and replaced many of the songs, which, a lot of times were tied in to the storylines of the episodes, with canned instrumental music that was akin to Musak played in elevators. Many die-hard fans of the series hated those releases because of that. This set finally delivers the episodes with all of the original music. As someone who owned the DVD releases, I can confirm that songs that were definitely missing from the DVDs were put back in for this set.

For extras, some, but not all, of the material that was included on the US DVD releases are included here. It is missing some of the bonus features, but most of the extras like the deleted scenes and gag reels are included in this set. I believe the DVDs had some commentary tracks that were missing from this. One big drawback is that this set is not closed-captioned at all. Also, there is a weird audio issue in that when you are on the menu screen on each disc the theme song plays extremely loud, then when you go into the episodes the volume is very low. So, you have to turn up the volume to hear the dialog in the episodes, and if you go back to the menu screen before turning the volume down, you are blasted out of the room.

Otherwise, the A/V transfer is pretty good. The video quality of the Blu-Rays is, on the whole, better than the DVDs. However, some of the early episodes did not get as good a video transfer as later episodes. Soi, it is an upgrade, but not what I would call a reference-quality or extremely high-quality video transfer.

Overall, if you can get this set at a reasonable price (about $100 in US dollars) I would say it is well worth it. Because it is an import, the price can fluctuate, and if it goes out of print (or has done so), then it will be very overpriced. Also, note that it is a Region 2 set, meaning it will not play on Blu-Ray players sold in the US. I found it would not even play on my region-free player which plays other Region 2 discs just fine. So, you may have to invest in a Region 2 player (you can get one from Amazon UK for a decent price) and a power adapter to watch this. But, for fans of the series, it is the best way to see the show as it is unlikely there will every be a comparable release in the US.  

No comments: