Welcome

Welcome to my ever-evolving blog. It started out as a blog on Beachbody workouts and products, mainly when I was a Beachbody coach. I no longer coach, not because I don't believe in Beachbody's programs (I subscribe to Beachbody on Demand and use their workouts every day), I am just not a salesperson and hated that aspect of it. I am more than willing to answer questions about my experiences with their products and the various workouts, and I feel freer to do so without the appearance of giving a biased review of something.

I have also started adding reviews for various things I have purchased like movies, books, CDs, and other products. This was brought about by a fight with Amazon in which all of my reviews were removed over a completely bullshit allegation that I posted a review that violated their terms of service. After going back and forth with the morons in the community-reviews department (even after they admitted that my posts did not violate their guidelines) they restored my account (which took them six months to do), but I have been posting my reviews on my blog to have them preserved in case something like that happens again. And here, I will post uncensored reviews so I will swear from time to time and post reviews that may be longer than Amazon's character limit. Everything I post here on any topic or product is my personal opinion, and I take no compensation for any product reviews I post. I am a member of Amazon's vine program and because I get those products for free, I keep those reviews on Amazon only, but everything I have purchased with my own money, whether from Amazon or some other store/website/outlet, I will post here.  

I also plan to do some longer blog posts on various topics, such as how to learn physics, how to get through calculus, and longer reviews of workout programs as I do them. Basically, whatever strikes me as interesting at the time.  As you can see if you navigate around the blog, I had many years in between postings. During that time I was going back to school to get an engineering degree, and learning material that I avoided my first time through college was a different experience and one that gave me a lot of insight into how to do well in those classes, which I will try to impart here for those who are looking to get a science or engineering degree. 

Wednesday, July 14, 2021

Movie/DVD Review: The Cell (2000 version)



The Cell is a thriller and at times horror movie from back in 2000 starring Jennifer Lopez as a psychotherapist who has developed a way to enter the mind of patients. Vincent D'Onofrio plays a serial killer who is caught by an FBI agent played by Vince Vaughn. The FBI knows he has abducted a woman who will be dead soon if they do not locate her, and hire Lopez's character to enter the killer's mind in order to try and find where the victim is being held. What follows is a very trippy movie, with a lot of stunning visuals. Because most of the movie is set in the mind of the killer, the rules of the real world don't really apply, and the film makes good use of that fact. There is not a lot of gore in the movie (it is mostly a psychological thriller), but when there is, it is not for the squeamish. 

The movie has been re-released on disc several times on disc, including on blu-ray. I have the original DVD release, and for those who are looking at that, the extras include deleted scenes, cast and crew biographies, trailers, a couple of different commentary tracks on the movie, storyboard sequences, and a feature on the music. And, there are some DVD-ROM features if you play it on a computer.

Overall, the film is very well-written and acted.  D'Onofrio steals the show and definitely shows off his acting range. This is one of Lopez's best performances (I know that people tend to love her or hate her as an actress) in any of her movies, and Vaughn does a very good job in a role that is very different from the wise-cracking comedies he is known for. There is sexual content and nudity (mostly in the form of torture scenes as opposed to erotic scenes) and the movie just skirted getting an NC-17 rating. So, it is definitely not for everyone. But, if you are looking for an original thriller that is not at all cookie cutter, this is definitely a good movie to check out.

No comments: